03 MSX-140 Now wont start please help

New member to the hulk but have used for reference for over a year.
    Currently dealing with issues with my MSX-140 ho.

BIO
    Bought ski June 2012 used all last year ran great winterized and stored
    Charged battery and put in used April 2013. First trip or two out ran great, then began to bog down at WOT, then started to idle poorly, now will not start. Based on other posts im suspecting I need a TPS. was hoping one of the experts here would confirm my "shade tree" diagnosis.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    TPS is a good place to start, unless you have something that indicates otherwise.

A simple test, which may or may not be helpful, is to unplug the TPS and try to start it. Do NOT touch the throttle lever, just see if will start and idle.

If it does start and idle with TPS unplugged, then TPS is the likely suspect.

If it does NOT start, that does NOT mean the TPS is good, nor does it mean the EMM is bad. Some of these machines just require a good working TPS or they will not start.

K447
    Thx for responding, was really hoping you would say the TPS is a good place to "finish" not looking forward to pouring cash into this thing. are the sensors now readily available?

one other diagnositic symtom, son just advised that when the ski died he had let up on the throttle and then it just quit running, when i rode it a few trips b4 the "death" it almost felt like a shortage of fuel or clogged fuel filter would feel on a carbed engine. do these guys have a fuel filter on them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by higgy View Post
    one other diagnositic symtom, son just advised that when the ski died he had let up on the throttle and then it just quit running, when i rode it a few trips b4 the "death" it almost felt like a shortage of fuel or clogged fuel filter would feel on a carbed engine. do these guys have a fuel filter on them
    Fuel filter is part of the fuel pump intake assembly, down inside the fuel tank. Unless the fuel has been contaminated with dirt or water the fuel filter should not need servicing.

Bogging and weak engine power can be caused by a number of things, including the TPS.

Update...
    decided to check fuel pressure b4 replacing tps. sure enough pressure was low(actually zero) so i installed the kawasaki inline reg as directed in other posts. good pressure. did test run. ran great for 10 min or so them began to bog down and almost die, took back to dock and rechecked fuel pressure, still good. new symptom reved up on lift and it didnt want to rev down ie throttle stick. so i went and bought the tps and installed. ran good for a while again then bogged down, ie run good =6600 rpm near 60 mph, run poor =54-5600 rpm ?? mph. also side note i installed new plugs as well old one were black as coal. i still have no flashing codes. not sure where to go next, it will still run good at initial pass but after some wave jumping or tail spins it seems to start having the issues. also the fuel gauge has never worked but it did have an intermitent reading during this test period. wondering possible loose wire at fuel pump ??

+1
    The fuel pump needs to have a 100% solid electrical connection. Inspect the connector for corrosion or other issues, broken wires, etc.

There is a red locking tab that you slide sideways before you can release the actual connector and pull it off the fuel pump.

And inside the fuel pump body are the actual wires to the fuel pump motor. If fuel pump electrical connections are not reliable or the fuel pump motor itself is failing, then consider replacing the pump or repairing it with new parts.

ok read through another thread and have a question, will back pressure in the fuel tank cause this type of bog down?

I only ask because there was considerable pressure in the fuel tank when i opened it and after releasing the pressure it began running well again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by higgy View Post
    I only ask because there was considerable pressure in the fuel tank when i opened it and after releasing the pressure it began running well again.
    Sounds like the fuel tank venting check valves are stuck closed. There are two, one for vacuum, one for excess air pressure. They are tee'd together from the fuel tank vent nipple.

The oil tank also has one for vacuum, which only has one end connected.

Thread Information