Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on this 2000 GP1200r Semi Project

Alright I will try to make this short....

Guy has had it for 2 years or so. Claims that this year it just recently started having a slower top speed, topping out around 45mph. I asked him about what RPM's it was running and said he didn't know for sure since but if he had to guess around 6500. Said otherwise it ran great. He took it to a mechanic that rebuilt the carbs and replaced a piston ring. He says it runs great but still won't go over 45mph. The mechanic said the compression was sitting around 110psi if he remembers correctly and that the mechanic said the next thing would be to just put a new top end in it. Says he remembers the PO saying something about it having the D plate and possibly wave eaters installed. He sends me better pics to my email than what was listed and I got a little scared. I may be spoiled with how phenomenal my '96 Venture looks but I wanted to get your opinion before I make the drive to go get it. I will be buying it assuming it needs a top end and some hull TLC which I can do over the summer when I'm not riding it. I need your thoughts on what you would pay for this and IF you even would. Comes with the trailer. Title for both in hand. Claims the hour meter says 30 hours or so but that has obviously been replaced and he even said that didn't sound right. Sorry for the short story turned long!! Here's some pics he sent me. Seems like a great stand up guy but who knows these days. I was thinking maybe the power valves need attention since the compression is 110psi across the board or so he says.

Banned User
    +1
    1000-1500

+1
    Looks like the sensor is still in the pipe... so it may not have the D plate installed, and the cat could have come apart and clogging the exhaust. That would cause a lack of performance.

Also the power valve couplers are still the stock ones, so it may not have the waveeaters either

Great! What I was looking for. Didn't know what to look for as far as the D plate and stuff goes. Am I being paranoid and a perfectionist as to the condition of the hull? Or is this something that can be fixed at the house? Also, looks like maybe some JB weld on the exhaust there of some sort. Not sure what is there that could have been rigged.

+1
    Yes, that pipe will need some attention... at some point it rattled the mounting bolts loose and wore away at the pipe. I have a bunch of those used in stock.

Normal hull wear for that year... as long as its not worn thru into the inner hull it will be fine... you could always lay some marine tex in there and build it back up, then sand it smooth

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Yes, that pipe will need some attention... at some point it rattled the mounting bolts loose and wore away at the pipe. I have a bunch of those used in stock.

Normal hull wear for that year... as long as its not worn thru into the inner hull it will be fine... you could always lay some marine tex in there and build it back up, then sand it smooth
    Alright. I sent him another text asking about the hull. I have a feeling it could be the cat. I don't mind doing hull work and cleaning it up. I'm also fairly familiar with 2 stroke engines. As far as mechanical work goes, carbs, I haven't messed with much other than cleaning and rejetting a single carb 4 stroke.

I asked about the trim and he said it works but is a little tight, maybe needing a lube or cleaning. Is that caused from a specific modification or part? Or maybe needs work?

+1
    usually one of the cables

lube em up

Should I bite at $1700? He seems pretty settled there (coming down from $2200). I asked, and he assured me he had all 3 carbs gone through trying to correct the issue so that's one less thing I have to worry about. And that it runs great but has like 75% power. So I'm thinking it lost a cylinder or the cat is done. Can't meet up with him until next week because of our conflicting schedules

+1
    Its a crap shoot buying a ski with known problems... you already know it needs a stinger and maybe some brackets... could have broken the bolts on the cyl stands for the stinger too... needs hull work... trim is iffy... better get your own compression numbers and do a good walk around. Check impeller, liner, hull inserts for pump shoe and ride plate... power valve problems if no waveeaters... trailer could have bad bearings... ect

I'd show up with some tools... if he wont let you work on it there to check it all out, then low ball him or or walk.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information