MSX 150 oil squirting from air/oil cyclone mounted to oil tank????

I have a 2004 MSX 150 turbo that I picked up really cheap and probably for good reason. Here goes.... done a compression check and both cylinders have around 80psi on them but the ski starts and runs fine. took it out on the water after removing some oil from resovoir that was overfilled and cleaned map sensors and other parts. Top speed is around 50mph. Unlikely with that low of compression but it did. Oddly, it smokes while idling (blue tinted smoke) and sometimes it doesnt at all. RPMs around 6200 max. Boost pressure never max out and i have oil shooting out of the air/oil cyclone that is mounted on side of oil tank but not every time. Has anyone had this problem before?????

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.

I hope the ski was cheap... cause it won't be to fix it. You have a bad engine. 80psi compression is bad... should be 125# - 140#. If the engine was never badly overheated in the past (which can warp the block)... then you likely have the common Nicasil plating failure... which has killed your compression. All the symptoms you describe stem from this. You have major blow-by on the pistons which is putting a lot of pressure in the sump and oil system and causing the oil to get pushed into the separator/cyclone where under that type of pressure it'll blow out the hole. And the smoking is oil getting past the piston rings and being burned. Plus there could be other issues... but masked by the big obvious one.

I too am surprised it runs as it does. I bet it's really hard to restart in the water with such low compression. And it's definitely not going to be getting any better. Continued running on bad Nicasil plating cylinders will only make them worse. All said and done... to fix bad Nicasil... you have to pull the engine and fully disassemble... then either sleeve your block or get it replated. Looking at $1000 minimum not including labor to fix that.

Sorry to rain on your new purchase.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info brother. I purchased the ski for $800. It has 30 hrs on it. I have no idea if it was ever overheated. I do however know that some adjustments were made to the accuator arm on the wastegate on the turbo for whatever reason. It is a little hard to start after running it and oddly, it doesn't always smoke. The lack of compression make since with back pressure. From what I gather from the forums, its a b**ch to get the motor out and parts are hard to come by??? Wonder what the chances are that I can save it with just a ring kit??? I may just try and get what I payed for it. The guy i purchased it from said that a mechanic told him that the turbo was passing oil by the seals. I dont see signs of a ton of oil in the itake hoses to the turbo. Havent checked the exhaust side. Its in really great condition. May just part it out.
    Last edited by A-Formality; 06-04-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wasnt finished with reply

+1
    Yeah... all sounds so familiar... just how I bought mine. I too wanted to replaced just the rings hoping that would fix my low compression. Except... you can't buy just the rings for the Weber pistons. You have to buy whole pistons assemblies to get new rings and they are $150 each... so $300 for new rings. Which didn't work in my case... cause I had a warped block.

And pulling the engine is a big job. You gotta have a shop crane or hoist. And you have to remove a lot of stuff to get it out. Oil tank off the back, turbo, exhaust manifold, intake hard pipe, intake manifold, heat exchanger, intercooler... then you can get it out. I've done it 3 times... and can do it by myself, with a shop crane. But it's a knuckle busting PITA.

I too had hard starting while in the water... it's due to the low compression. Another thing to consider is failed Nicasil plating or warped block... likely one of these two... you still have to get a new block or sleeve your existing... plus new pistons... sadly it would be $1000 minimum not counting your labor to fix just that. Now if your turbo is shot too... that's even more. So... yeah. It get expensive real fast.

Cheers!

Thread Information