01 yam xlt 1200 starts to plain out then loses power

Hey guys, I have a 01 xlt 1200 that I redone all top end now with 145 psi per cylinder and put new fuel line on the carbs and to- from tank and pet cock. Out of water it runs hook to flush kit it idles and revs great! In the water it idles great and u can cram the throttle and it pulls out like a bat of he?? And then just dies and lose all power. I by passed the pet cock with fuel line and try to pull choke wen it lost power and nothing helped. Starting to think maybe electrical problem? Maybe stator? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx

Forgot to mentioned that is does get up on plain and then just lays down in water and after it does ur starts right back up and idles fine and soon as it gets on top end and starts to plain out on water it dies! Thanx

+1
    What else did you do to the top end ? 145 is high compression for stock build unless your gauge is off. lots of guys milling heads and putting aftermarket ones on to get that number. usually when you have great compression and it idles good and accelerates great then falls on its face on 2 strokes you start checking things that causes fuel restrictions or exhaust restrictions. FUEL, pickup flap, carbs. EXHAUST converter melting down or lodged in waterbox or powervalves not opening but it doesn't usually fall on its face.

Top end was all stock and I also put n the d- plate, done away with the converter. My gauge could b off a little. It just seems like electrical, cause there's no bogging , chugging or pulling the choke doesn't help. It just loses fire it seems. How could I check the stator without pulling it out of ski? Thanx

+1
    A lot of times when you have a motor firing erratically you have backfiring. the GP1200R doesn't have a stator it has a alternator for charging and a pickup (trigger) that sends a signal to the ECM to fire the coils. usually when the pickup goes it doesn't come back. I would start with carbs and pressure test them and set the popoff and check all check valves. just sounds like CARBS.

6. +1 by:

Thanx man ! Ill start checking it Friday. Work has me tied up till then and wen I find out eats wrong ill let u kno ! Again, thanx

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    I have had this happen with the xlt and pulled my hair out forever.. Comes to find out I screwed up the water temp sensor while removing the exhaust. The sensor looked fine but it was not, after replacement all was awesome. If you don't figure it out its worth a shot.. PS Please reinstall your petcock!!

Well, took the ski out and rode it to check things out again! Noticed cavitation n pump and notice at wot the ski would pull out of water hard but only reach a top speed of 35-37 mph round 6000 rpm. Took it back to garage and pulled jet pump out and replaced a seal. Took it back out and it solved my cavitation problem but still only top speed of 35-37 mph. Tried pulling out choke alittle while at top speed but it would just wanna die. Was running it once at top speed and then all at once I lost all power ( electrical and fuel ) and the ski died. It started right back up but I could not give it much gas to pull out or it would wanna die again. But if ya let it run alittle it would pull out like a bat out of he?? I have 3 carb kits on the way and gonna start there first. Ill let u kno wat happens! I also hooked the pet cock back up right. Thanx again !

hey guys, just wanted to ask u if anyone has a fuel diagram of all the fuel lines to the carbs on this XLT 1200? Also, does anyone kno wat the spec readings and which color of wires to check the stator? I have the exhaust and carbs off now and would like to check the stator in case its bad i can go ahead and change it while i have access to it. Does the fuel tanks in these skis need to build up pressure to run or not have any pressure? I would think the tank would build up some pressure while i was riding it, but wasnt for sure. Thanx!

After cleaning and rebuilding carbs and found a crimped vacuum hose the ski runs great. Also the Petcock was bad! Thanx for all the help!!

Thread Information