1997 Yamaha GP1200 spark on #2 cylinder only

Anyone hear of spark on #2 cylinder only no matter what we do?
    Also when starting it cranks for about 2 seconds then nothing until the 4 wire plug is unhooked (pink, red, black, green) and still only spark on #2 cylinder.

Complete electrical system swapped out, new plugs, coils tested good primary and secondary, 3 charge coils test good, plug caps trimmed and tested good, Rectifier tested good, CDI checked with meter and all tested good. The stator has been replaced twice once with a reman and once with a new OEM. The new Stator / charge coil tests good on the Black/Red to Blue, but the Black/Red to Brown tests low. The original stator had no continuity on the Black/Red to Brown.

This is a friends ski and he's at the end of his rope. I thought my Seadoo RX-X was bad, not any more!

Thanks to anyone with an idea!

Steve O. / Fort Matanzas Inlet, FL (close)

+1
    Its probably the CDI that needs to be replaced. Its the only thing in common between the "2 second cranking" and the "spark on #2 only" problems you are having.
    How low is the Black/Red to Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Its probably the CDI that needs to be replaced. Its the only thing in common between the "2 second cranking" and the "spark on #2 only" problems you are having.
    How low is the Black/Red to Brown?
    Testied about 40 (172 to 258 range).

+1
    man, that is WAY out of the range. That's certainly a problem that needs to be addressed. I was thinking maybe it was slightly out and we could chalk it up to slightly inaccurate meter.
    Here's another idea on how to tackle this. Separate the 2 problems and concentrate on one at a time. Maybe you can concentrate on why it isn't cranking correctly. That's a fairly simple circuit. Maybe you'll find the problem with the starter circuit and it'll fix the spark issue too. Or on the flip side, you could address the obvious out of spec stator problem and try to get yet another one.
    Do you have a GP1200 service manual?

RE: spark on #2

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    man, that is WAY out of the range. That's certainly a problem that needs to be addressed. I was thinking maybe it was slightly out and we could chalk it up to slightly inaccurate meter.
    Here's another idea on how to tackle this. Separate the 2 problems and concentrate on one at a time. Maybe you can concentrate on why it isn't cranking correctly. That's a fairly simple circuit. Maybe you'll find the problem with the starter circuit and it'll fix the spark issue too. Or on the flip side, you could address the obvious out of spec stator problem and try to get yet another one.
    Do you have a GP1200 service manual?

We have another stator on the way and it will be tested before it is installed!
    I do have the manual where I got all the testing specs.

Thread Information