Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought an 05 GTX last fall and need some help with a squeal

I bought this ski last fall and it needed an impeller due to gravel going through it. I spotted it on the prebuy and accepted it based on a great price and further adjustment for it and the need to do the SC too. Also knowing it needed the SC rebuild due to age even though it only had 30 hours of run time. I test rode it 5 minutes last fall and it was cavitating as I expected as much otherwise ran great.

I bought a new 12/20 solas impeller and a new SBT Kit and tools for the SC and just finished the work and am regreting working on both ends of it at the same time as well as not just sending the SC to GH so I would have at least one part of the equation to trust !! so I would know where to look for my squeal.

I backed in it the water today and I have a new squeal sound coming from down in the hull and sounds like it is originating in the drive area behind the motor but that is also right where the SC is located too so I am a littled confused where it is coming from. I think it is worth saying that is sounds about the same in and out of the water, and with and without the rear seat portion installed so I can look down and inside. Because it is so easy, I first pulled the pump and looked through all of that and I did get a little lucky as I found the orings in the front seal of the impeller got tore as I had it in and out 2-3 times and did not pay enough attention each time but I do not see that causing a squeal. I'll get new ones before re-assy. The pump shaft grease is new looking and pleantyful but I will go ahead and completely fill the cone after additional reading. The shaft is tight and smooth turning so I am thinking there is no problem there. The wear ring looked just almost new with only a tiny scuff in one area so I re-used it although I have a new one. I did have a tiny plastic bur that would just ever so slightly wisk the impeller as it turned past that one spot but I figured that would wear away in 10 seconds in the water, and it was a tight fit with no rubbing otherwise, I feel dumb for not just slightly sanding it out and I will now.

Could this cause a ring in the stainless impeller that kind of sounds like a squeal ?? not in the water ??

I was generally happy with my SC rebuild but not knowing any of the problems rookies get into I am suspicious of it now as well. P.S. my original ceramic SC washers were still intact and looked like new so the hours were likely legit. Is there a likely mistake I could of made in this rebuild that would cause the squeal to origionate from the SC ??? If nothing else can be found I have to pull it back out next.

I am reading now to figure out what is involved in pulling the drive shaft so I can start it without the pump to isolate the problem but would really appreciate any tips based on the work I have done above ???
    Last edited by Doug Doty; 06-04-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more info and clarification

+1
    It's hard to diagnose without hearing it for myself.
    Squealing usually has to do with bearings.
    Did you get all the needle bearings installed on the s/c correctly?

If you had never done a s/c I would send it to jerry on the hulk..

I hope this helps..

I am confident in having all the little neadle bearings in place, they are a little tricky but ended up using the gear to hold them all in place as I pealed the sticky off, added some more grease, and it went well. I had not considered them as I was thinking they only rolled when the clutches were actually slipping. On the SC the only thing I question is the ball bearings on the main shaft and how they seated in the housing but it all spun smooth but with just a little friction from what I assumed was the seal, I did add the motoroil to them as I assembled everything.

I changed out the wear ring this evening and will grab some new front seal orings at work tomorrow and maybe reinstall everything and see what I have. If no luck I will likely send the sc to Jerry, with the problems it can cause I don't see gambaling on it being ok when I have a problem I cannot solve.

+1
    Your right.
    If the charger malfunctions it can wipe out a bunch of other components.

Hope you ger it figured out.

Well I found a bad and bonehead mistake on the pump end. When I installed the solas 12/20 impeller I did not read !! and it came with 2 different front seal shapes/ sizes and I made that normally tragic mistake and I thought " without thinking " it was a choice thing on the shapes and I choose to use the more streamelined and now found they were for different shaft sizes. They both fit over the same splines but the one I used is the smaller and it was likely wedging on the taper for which it seals on it's o-rings and possibly was pushing forward on the shaft. I hope this is not too bad such that I damaged something but I am about to put it together correctly and find out. I feel the pump originally pushed into position and that I did not had to draw it up with the bolts more than just the feel of the rubber seal but now I wonder !!

Stupidity has no bounds I guess. And to think I done my own rebuild on my SC at the same time. Scary !!

I'll chime in later this evening and fess up to my sins

My pump it sweet now with all new parts but the squeal is still present or maybe it is a whine but I don't thing it should be there.

Do these supercharged seadoos have a notable blower whine ??? It sounds a little like an old drag car I had with a BIG procharger on it. I am a lone rider and do not have anyone elses to compare mine with.

Dinner is over and I'm going out to the shop now to pull the blower back off as It needs looked at and likely sent off to Jerry tomorrow to make sure it is done right.

Well It only took 35 minutes to pull it out this time, amazing how effective practice can be. I have the blower mounted to the maint. plate in the vice and it turns smooth and quiet. I'm bum fuzzled............. any ideas before I spend $400 dollars on this charger. mine is the black case version with the part # that does not need the washer spacers between the main blower housing and the motor case.

Is it possible it does need them with the SBT rebuild kit ??

This SBT kit makes me mad as I ordered it from an ebay seller last fall and I thought I was ordering an OEM seadoo kit but did not realize until I got it and it was too late, I should of read more and realized.

Where is the best place to get a new clamp for the exhaust where I pull the elbow off the manifold when pulling the SC each time. My threads are bad beyond re-use.

Ordered a new exhaust clamp and sent my charger 2nd. day to Jerry today.......
    Last edited by Doug Doty; 06-09-2013 at 07:54 PM.

I hate myself for waiting till good weather before dealing with this !!!! Maybe late this week..........

( therapist ) Hi Doug, Welcome to the group, please introduce yourself and tell everyone why you are hear.
    ( me ) Hi everyone, my name is Doug and I am a procrastinator, I am sitting on the dock cause I put off fixing my ski until it was good weather and now I am spending my evenings and weekends wishing it was ready. "

I heard back from Jerry and I guess my SC rebuild was not the problem as far as he could tell things were fine in there. Could I just be hearing the blower whine or is there something else I should look at, is there a bearing on the front on the pump shaft that could be making the sound I am calling the squeal since I have ruled out the pump bearings themselves. What about the carbon ring seal ?? I guess I need a service manual, I am over due on doing without one........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information