Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impeller seized inside of pump wall. Fix?

Looking to repair or replace wear ring that surrounds the impellar on a 1999 SLX 2 seater I think it is. Seamed to swell up around the impellar and wouldn't turn. What causes this? Can somebody help me with either finding a part or fixing this issue. Thanks.
    Bill
    Last edited by Fandini; 06-04-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Because I didn't see the sticky.

+1
    This is a 1999 for sure and what size is the engine? Is the impeller bad too? Are you sure that the bearings in the carrier are not rusted up and does the engine turn over?

First of all this ski is a good friends so I need to call him to get the exact year and model#. Pulled the pump out. Engine now turns over easily. Had a hell of a time getting the ring that surrounds the impeller off because the two were stuck together. Had to spray WD-40 around the impeller and beat, wedge, pry, tap, wiggle, work and pry and tap some more. Impeller spins freely now that the pump ring is off, so the bearings seem fine, no play. Don't understand why that changed over the winter. He told me it ran fine last year until his starter went out. He does run it in salt water but he takes it out and washes it off after each use. Don't know if maybe that electrolisis that takes place on boats that reside in salt water is to blame or what, but I need a fix that resizes the pump ring to properly fit the impeller,..... if there is one.
    Thanks
    Bill

+1
    Never heard of resizing one. But i did have to replace one last year and had to order all parts from Polaris. Was not cheap but parts were still available. I have a book that list a stainless steel lining for all Polaris with the pump extension. If that helps. Have you inquired about parts from Polaris yet? I know from my experience around me that there are not many Polaris pwc dealers anymore.

Have not inquired about parts. Last time I helped him work on it we got parts from parts pit stop,.... I think. Checked PPitstop earlier and could not find any watercraft parts listed. Also, on Yamaha's I think that liner is replaceable. Seems like some sanding or honing would allow it to fit. I could see daylight in some places around the impeller between the impeller and the ring but obviously it is tight in other areas. I saw a replacement extension for about 180 bucks somewhere.

+1
    Salt water will cause that wear ring to swell. you can find those all over ebay. salt water is a killer on jetskis

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pump extension part is still listed as available as new..around $200...used ones on ebay..far far less.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    Salt water will cause that wear ring to swell. you can find those all over ebay. salt water is a killer on jetskis
    Why would somebody sell their pump ring on ebay? Seem like you'd wanna keep it if it's any good, especially since it's a wear item. Is there an upgrade or something that prevents this?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    lots of Polaris skis have been junked since the primary source of ignition components in a profiteering fellow who is making a good buck on the remaining new stock.

worth far more in parts then as a whole..in the last two seasons the number of Polaris parts for sale such as complete pumps and trim have gone up considerably

+1
    Eactly, I have a parts SLXH sitting out in the garage, people dont fix polaris's anymore, they just junk them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information