...continued issue..waveraider 1100

Ok i posted before about this and thought it was my butterfly causing the issue, however i repaired that took the ski out and same thing so ill explain a bit further

Ski is a 95 raider 1100, only has a/m f/a's, otherwise the the motor is stock.
    The compression is 109/111/110 ski ran great and the end of last year.
    The carbs were rebuilt last year and at the very end of the year i bought a fuel pump.
    I haven't yet replaced filter but plan to do so asap. I also haven't changed plugs since the beginning of last year..(not sure if this would be the issue just thought of it the other day)

anyway, basically the ski is bogging..when i went out the other day i started off, it felt not as good running as usual but early the day on the trailer i had a start/stop button issue so i used primer to turn off so i chalked this up as maybe being a bit flooded, but anyway, rode it and was doing alright wasn't running WOT yet..anyway i went to whip the ski around(180) and it bogged down badly almost shut off, now i do have the return line fix and this never happened before...
    i did have a slightly bent butterfly that i fixed so im on to my next guess..
    the gas is from last season(well half tank is older half is newer from this weekend) with half a can of seafoam(same age gas in my x2 and it runs great and never added seafoam)

So, im basically looking for what to go after. Im thinking maybe something in the carbs, but not sure what exactly would cause this.
    It started bogging really bad when i was coming in and had to feather the throttle to keep it running to get back to shore..

..any other info needed just ask. Thanks!

+1
    Fresh gas and new plugs are a good place to start. There might be water/condensation/ethanol problems in there and its getting sucked up into carbs. Engines don't run too well on water (ask me how I know). Drain the tank and refill it with fresh gas.

Thanks for the response, is there a way to tell if water is in the gas?...i mainly ask because i literally just poured probably 6 fresh gallons into the 3-4 that was there? (which that 3-4 i mixed with the seafoam that i thought would of taken care of any water issues?)...would just like to see/confirm before tossing $40-50 worth of gas ..Will definitely do the plugs , probably tomorrow...

+1
    There are ways to test it. Another method that has worked for me it to pump a bunch of gas into a clear jar or flower vase. Let it settle for a while. Sometimes you see the water settle to the bottom and the gas on top. but you need to suck gas from the bottom of the take, like through the reserve, since any water will be down there. Or just drain it and put the gas in you car/truck. Its less sensitive to water/ethanol problems.

5. +1 by:

gas is premix...so can't do that, but will try testing it out, thanks again!!

+1
    You can run premix in you car/truck. I've done it. Helps lube the electric fuel pump

+1
    Yep, sounds like water in the fuel to me too. If you can tilt the ski up or downn doesn't matter, then loosen the fuel sending unit so it's ready to come out. Then let it sit undisturbed for at least a day. The water will settle into the lowest part of the tank. Then you can very carefully remove the sending unit while not stirring up the fuel and use a clear hose to siphon the water out of the tank. You will see it in the clear hose and be able to tell when it's all out. When you go back out it will burble around a bit still trying to burn the remaining water out that was still in the carbs but should clear out quickly.
    I just rebuilt a Tigershark that was doing that and it had probably 10-14 ounces of water in the tank!

geez, yea i went to go mess with it today but right now we are getting a lot of rain and a tropical storm about to hit so theres a bunch more coming...hopefully ill get a chance soon though because this is driving me nuts taking it 45 minutes away to have it not run right...but thanks for the info i will see what i can do tomorrow...

Thread Information