Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with 2000 Virage 700cc

Hi guys, first time poster here needs advice.
    Friend of mine bought himself this Virage while on vacations in Florida and we have no clue on the history. Original owner started up for him on the trailer to show him that it starts. Brought it home to IL. and now took it out on the water, hardly starts and will nor run pass 10mph. Now he asked me to check it out for him even though I have no experience with these machines but I have pretty good knowledge of 2 cycle dirtbikes and chainsaws.
    first I checked the compression both cylinders at 148-150psi (second cylinder took few more revolutions but ended up at 150). Then I took off and inspected the pump, all clean in nice condition.
    Then I bought Winderosa carb kit and rebuild it. Since original valve spring was 9mm 40gr. I used the same one out of kit and pop-off pressure was right around 20psi with needle arm set at .060" gap from carb base. Idle screw was broked off so I replaced it with same thread screw screw 6mm fine pitch. Reinstalled carb with new gaskets, set the low needle to 2 turns (originaly 2-1/2), cleaned fuel filter, sucked out dirty dark old gas from lines till fresh stuff was coming out and after wile cranking engine started up. Went to connect the water hose and didn't want restart till pull spark plugs out and dry them out (clean/dry them, two sets of new plugs). Every time I pull the plugs out, I can see water/oil brownish mixture coating on them and after cleaning them, it will restart for two seconds and dies out again. I noticed the "mud" deposit on compression gauge fitting and looked in to cylinders with bore scope and you can see water deposits on top of pistons and cylinder walls.
    Is the crankcase full of water maybe from previous owner sinking the hull and selling it right after?
    Hull is out of water for weeks and was cranked many times without garden hose connected to it. Gas is clean pre-mix with no oil pump but the water deposit on spark plugs is there after just few cranks and I think id killing the spark. MFD is dead with and without it with bypass wire spark is nice on both plugs when they are out of cylinders. If I started and run it long enough, will the crankcase clean itself out?
    Please let me know your thought, I wish to help this guy out. Also, where can I get a service manual for this 2000 Polaris Virage?
    Thanks in advance, Bernard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02304.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	302845  

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Bernard, If that crankcase has water in it, Pull plugs and crank it, Do you have mist blowing out. Yes it will clean it's self out. Anytime water sits in a case you have to hold your breath on the crank bearings, also if it's salt water. Also Pm'd you some advise.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Brown water inside the engine means rust. Rust comes from the crank shaft bearings, which likely means the engine must be rebuilt. Rusty bearings will not last very long at 6000+ RPM and nearly 100HP.

If you run that engine, even after drying it out, and a bearing fails at speed you can destroy the engine.

I would pull the engine out and take it apart, inspect the crank directly. If it is good (possible, seems unlikely) then you just need new gaskets to put it back together.

See my signature links for more info.

+1
    You replaced the low speed screw with a standard screw? The factory one has a needle tip designed to control flow. If you were able to control flow I suspect the results would be unpredictable if you could even control it at all...

Is that a car battery in there?

Thanks guys, That is what I thought and was afraid of, the only way to it is to pull the cylinders. I did crank the engine for a while with paper towel over spark plug holes and it blew out some of the deposits then clean air comes out but after re-installation of plugs they get the same "muddy water" coating.
    I know the crank bearings gets lubrication from the 2 cycle gas mixture, is 1:40 the correct ratio? Will it make sense (if the crankcase moisture problems clears out) to switch to 1:32 pre-mix to keep the bearings happier?
    From looking at the engine and carb paint coming off, this may well be a salt water.
    How long can I crank the engine for at a time (20-30 sec.)? I don't want to mess up the starter or starter solenoid. I noticed for few times now that when I crank for longer, the RPM will actually increase after about 10 sec., maybe the mixture reaches the bearings and make them spin freely or some of the mixture is actually getting burned up (engine trying to start).
    Thanks again, I was kind of counting on you two (plus urugol) with good advice.
    It is a nice forum you guys run here (I used to be very active senior member on benzworld & mercedesforum helping others to fix Mercedes cars and was always happy to help out).
    Bernard

+1
    Where are you located?

20-30 seconds cranking should be OK, but with really long cool down periods afterwards.

Is the oil pump removed from this engine or is the factory oil injection system still present?

Crank RPM changing does not sound good. I really do not think it makes sense to do anything but pull the engine and tear it down. Otherwise you are just guessing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lalka View Post
    Hull is out of water for weeks and was cranked many times without garden hose connected to it.
    Are you leaving the water on and flowing when the engine is not running?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Where are you located?

20-30 seconds cranking should be OK, but with really long cool down periods afterwards.

Is the oil pump removed from this engine or is the factory oil injection system still present?

Crank RPM changing does not sound good. I really do not think it makes sense to do anything but pull the engine and tear it down. Otherwise you are just guessing.
    I'm in Lake Zurich, NW suburb of Chicago.
    Oil pump is removed (I believe long time ago).
    K447, what is the correct gas/oil mixture ratio?
    Thanks, Bernard

+1
    Typical fuel to oil ratio is 40:1.

32:1 is used during engine break in only.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lalka View Post
    Hull is out of water for weeks and was cranked many times without garden hose connected to it.
    Are you leaving the water on and flowing when the engine is not running?
    Hi Casey,
    No, I connected the hose on yesterday because it briefly started up but kinked the hose shut (stuct under passenger's rear handle loop) to have the water flow ready, if engine starts running. It always fires for couple of seconds when I screw in clean spark plugs.
    Thank you, Bernard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information