Anyone opened up a CDI?

Has anyone tried to open a CDI box for a 01 Virage 1200 tx carb motor? Any idea what goes bad in them or what to look for?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    look for a replacement that won't cost you an arm and a leg. There have been no documented instances of any epoxy removal or repairs on a bad Polaris cdi.

However we recently had a fellow who did a home repair on a Ficht EMM......
    Last edited by K447; 06-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Why has no one tried are there that many parts in it? Any ideas how to seal it back if I did find something wrong in it? Finding one cheap looks to be a challenge?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by badnblack55 View Post
    Why has no one tried are there that many parts in it? Any ideas how to seal it back if I did find something wrong in it? Finding one cheap looks to be a challenge?
    If you have the skills and the interest to open up a domestic CDI and document how it works, at least enough to do repairs, I shall not discourage the effort.

I am sure there are non-working CDI available for little money.

I dont know bout the skills but Ive got the interest I dont know if just opening one would tell enough tho to figure it out with out having another to compare what circuits are complete or not. I guess the next question is anyone got a dead cdi or two they want rid of?

i found that a 24 oz. hammer works much better than a 16 oz hammer!ha

+1
    Did open a Pro 785 CDI , and repaired two so far. Have a friend who is a electrical engineer major. He has repaired the 785's and others. He is what we found :
    Aside from circuit spike damage, and water damage , the most common cause is broken or cracked solder joints. You will need good light and a strong loop to see them. Vibrations over time is the cause. A damaged transistor is also a common cause. Can be troubleshooted via fluke meter. Most of the parts will have to be checked with the Fluke meter to ensure they in spec. The epoxy coating can be removed with a heat gun, being careful not to cause any damage.
    On my 785 CDI's we now apply a water blocker to the circuit to prevent water damage.

Quote Originally Posted by badnblack55 View Post
    I dont know bout the skills but Ive got the interest I dont know if just opening one would tell enough tho to figure it out with out having another to compare what circuits are complete or not. I guess the next question is anyone got a dead cdi or two they want rid of?
    I have a donor CDI I would love to see fixed. PM me you address and it's yours. I just would like to know what you end up finding, and if you can fix it, and send it back... I'll pay you.

+1
    when I get back in the states , I'll see if my friend can look at it , should be home in 3 weeks.

Thread Information