Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

New guy,new ski. 2013 GTR 215 taxes title question.

Hello! Ive been lurking for a couple years off and on. Finally pulled the trigger and bought a 13 GTR. I'm extremely excited to pick it up tomorrow, but I had a couple questions. I have no idea how to pay the taxes,and register the boat. Im purchasing it in Missouri,and registering it in Kansas. I live in JO county if any one knows the tax rate so I can roughly guess what im going to pay. TIA and I look forward to reading/posting on the forum.

+1
    Not sure on the reg/tax process in KS but hella Congrats on the new ski! I love the anticipation of picking up a new toy!

+1
    Yeah congrats on getting the new Gtr. Enjoy.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk there , captain.

The people you handed over your cash to should be bending over backwards to help you on this one

Typically when you bring your brandy new paperwork to the dmv, you'll pay slaes tax, perhaps an excise tax, some assorted fees. Then they issue reg numbers and a certificate for the craft.

Don't forget your liability insurance..and more important you can avoid bad luck by naming the ski as soon as practical and NOT using the hardware store stick on numbers.

Be careful and enjoy!

If you bought it from a dealer, they should have included sales tax.

+1
    When you go to reg in home state they will collect taxes. The states usually have DMV to tell you rate. It is normally the same as sales tax rate. I doubt the out of state dealer does much more tahan sell it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by padge View Post
    If you bought it from a dealer, they should have included sales tax.
    not when you are from out of state and are going to register it out of state

+1
    I'm in Arizona and can only speak for me but all sales taxes on anything purchased is included in the grand total and paid at the time of transaction payment. As for the registration...we don't go through DMV with watercraft...we go through the Game and Fish Department and we have to do that ourselves, not through the dealer after buying the ski and Arizona is a "no title" state for recreational non-road use vehicles so we don't have get titles we get a certificate of ownership, also through Game and Fish . Here, registration is $20 for a watercraft that's 11-20 foot long. I would think you would pay whatever sales tax in whatever state you buy it and then pay whatever registration fees in whatever state you want to register it. Plain and simple...hopefully.

I myself am in the middle of this process and waiting to receive my registration on my 2012 GTR. Congrats on your new GTR!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    I'm in Arizona and can only speak for me but all sales taxes on anything purchased is included in the grand total and paid at the time of transaction payment. As for the registration...we don't go through DMV with watercraft...we go through the Game and Fish Department and we have to do that ourselves, not through the dealer after buying the ski and Arizona is a "no title" state for recreational non-road use vehicles so we don't have get titles we get a certificate of ownership, also through Game and Fish . Here, registration is $20 for a watercraft that's 11-20 foot long. I would think you would pay whatever sales tax in whatever state you buy it and then pay whatever registration fees in whatever state you want to register it. Plain and simple...hopefully.

I myself am in the middle of this process and waiting to receive my registration on my 2012 GTR. Congrats on your new GTR!
    Not necessarily, in some states you pay tax at the purchase and some you pay when you register. Another thing to watch out for is in some states you pay the difference when you register if the % tax you paid out of state was less than the state you're registering in and some don't have sales tax reciprocity or call it a "use" tax so you pay twice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post

Not necessarily, in some states you pay tax at the purchase and some you pay when you register. Another thing to watch out for is in some states you pay the difference when you register if the % tax you paid out of state was less than the state you're registering in and some don't have sales tax reciprocity or call it a "use" tax so you pay twice.
    So that's why Game and Fish asks how much sales tax was paid if bought from a dealer. Sneaky li'l turds. Like I said..."hopefully" it was that plain and simple. What was I thinking when using simple and taxes in the same sentence.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information