Thread: What A Mess!

+1

What A Mess!

Time to get rid of some junk! The water level at our lake has come up enough to launch the JetSkis from the shore, still not high enough to use the boat ramp. Anyway, I took two of them to give them a run, then I was going to put them on CraigsList. Neither would start. After sitting about two years, one had a frozen starter and the other was hydro-locked. Not water hydro-locked, but hydrocarbon (oil) hydro-locked. It appears that the oil has drained from the reservoir into the engine while it sat. Yamaha uses an inline valve on their boats to prevent this, but I haven't seen this in a JetSki before. The reservoir is only about 10 inches above the carbs.

It cranked about two times and that was it. I could turn the crank by hand (but not all the way). Pulled the plugs and had a geyser! Must have had a pint of oil in each cylinder. Now, even with covering the holes with a rag, the inside of the 'Ski is still covered with oil. Guess I'm ready for salt water...

The same thing happened to my girlfriends ZXI 1100. It hasn't been in the water since 2007. I pulled it out to do some maintenance work on it and decided to see if it would even turn over and it only made about a half turn and acted like it hit something at the top end. Pulled the plugs and found the cylinders to be full of oil. I got most of the oil out, hooked it up to a hose and fired it up. Smoked like crazy for about a half hour and now it seems to run good. Had a couple broken bolts on the exhaust, replaced them and now it's ready for the lake.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Unbelievable.....

+1
    I experienced this too. My oil tank had expanded after sitting in the garage heat for a couple months and oil was leaking and it was a pain. Kinda similar to your problem I guess.

Don't pee in my Pool 150ofUltra's Avatar
    When I pulled my engine. My tie off to the oil line got snagged by the engine coming out. My whole oil tank drained into the hull while we were moving the engine over to the truck. It was about a gallon.

I feel your pain!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I stored a STX-900 oil tank in my garage on a shelf with the hose folded in half and zip-tied with about a half of a tank of oil in it for a few years without thinking of it. The oil must have made the hose hard because it decided to break without warning one night and leak the remaining tank all down my wall, onto the floor, across the garage, out the door, and halfway down the driveway. Like you said Mr.Steve, at least you are ready for salt water.

Sean

Steve what ski was this on? if ultra they are known for bad check valves in the cases. Look at the positive atleast you knew it was getting oil and a very oily first start

+1
    Sorry, this was on the 750 SS Xi.

Thread Information