Fuel line replacement? Zip tie?

We recently bought two 1996 GTX's that have been thru at least two previous owners; both have the gray fuel lines, I've done some reading but have a few questions.

1. Correct that I need 20-22 feet of 1/4" line (1/4 only) for a 1996 787 motor?
    2. Carbs must be removed to check the internal filters?
    3. Best to remove exhaust manifold or can I access well enough by leaving on?
    4. Any good links showing carb removal covering bolts & linkage?
    5. Thinking of using zip ties for fuel line; understand to use Thomas & Betts with the S/S insert - anyone have a model # or size that's best to use? Best place to buy?

Thanks,
    Steve

+1
    About 15 ft of 1/4" fuel line will do it if you don't replace the return line.
    Carbs need to come off to clean properly, the brass fittings will have green goo all up inside them.
    Easily remove carbs without taking exhaust off.
    Any decent zip ties will be fine, the lines aren't under pressure.

What is that green goo

[QUOTE=Myself;2180239]About 15 ft of 1/4" fuel line will do it if you don't replace the return line.
    Carbs need to come off to clean properly, the brass fittings will have green goo all up inside them.
    Easily remove carbs without taking exhaust off.
    Any decent zip ties will be fine, the lines aren't under pressure.[/QUOTEgoo what is that green goo. And is that special fuel line can I use hose clamps for fuel line?

+1
    The green goo is a chemical reaction. The grey line with fuel in it reacts with the brass. When brass corrodes it turns green. Fuel line hose clamps will be fine. They don't need to be he-man tight either.

Did one ski yesterday; had some green goo forming on the main fuel line coming off the fuel selector, carb and internal filters looked pretty good.
    No more gray on one ski and cleaned out the fuel selector along with the carb; one more ski to go, currently bouncing between the pump PM work on the first ski and other stuff around the house...

Thanks for all the help.

Best,
    Steve

Don't use black fuel lines from the auto parts store like I did suggest you purchase the clear blue fuel lines from a source such as SBT since they fit tighter and also you can see fuel or air bubbles in lines. Take your time and replace one at a time!

I have done this several times with the black fuel lines and no issue. I also use regular 11 inch zip ties these are a little thicker so they tighten up well.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Don't forget the tool that tightens and snips the zip tie either. Help to keep from breaking off the plastic nipples when tightening. I learned the hard way and had to spend $80 on the end of the carb to fix tht nipple

Thread Information