Broken spark plug

I've read previous posts about removing a broken spark plug with an easy out but I have not seen the size needed to try this. Does anyone know ? Thanks!

+1
    My success with EZ-Outs has been marginal, but my success with ANY method has been marginal. The problem with an EZ-Out is that it expands the bolt (spark plug) causing it to bind tighter. I've had better luck with left hand drill bits, but I haven't seen any commonly available that would be large enough. Last week, I broke a head bolt off and tried welding a nut to the stud. Did it several times and it didn't work, either.

You might take a similar spark plug and measure the inside diameter of the shell. That's what your EZ-Out would be locking into. Is the head still on the engine?

You might have to end up installing a HeliCoil to repair the threads. You can get a repair kit at your local auto parts store for about $30. Don't buy the idea that putting grease on the special tap will keep all the crud from falling into the cylinder when you re-thread it, it won't.

This is what I used says its a #5 I hot glued it to a socket and she came right out. I have no idea where I acquired the tool I suspect it is a hand me down from my grandfather.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050[1].jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	307256

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineiacMoose View Post
    This is what I used says its a #5 I hot glued it to a socket and she came right out. I have no idea where I acquired the tool I suspect it is a hand me down from my grandfather.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050[1].jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	307256
    That's a large tap from a tap and die kit. Probably get a cheap one from harbor freight. Need a reverse thread one though.

It is definitely not a tap,its a large easy out or internal drill in which case I don't think so as it my understanding the internal drills are very small. In any event it was not designed to cut threads the twist is left handed and has a pretty extreme pitch.
    Last edited by MaineiacMoose; 07-18-2013 at 07:48 PM.

+1
    its 100% an easy out they are designed for extracting broken bolts, drill and insert as you undoo they bite in and remove said bolt. sometimes they are also a hinderence as they can expand the thread such as on a spark plug and dont work as well. they are available in all sizes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    its 100% an easy out they are designed for extracting broken bolts, drill and insert as you undoo they bite in and remove said bolt. sometimes they are also a hinderence as they can expand the thread such as on a spark plug and dont work as well. they are available in all sizes.
    Well its handle is designed like one. Lol

Thread Information