Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

sl900 only runs good out of the water

typical story on this ski...

it sat up and it needed some love.

it now has a brand new AGM 16l battery, clean carbs, clean fuel in the tank @ 40:1 mix. all connections are clean.

trying to get it lake ready for friday. it has been kept out of the weather and is not in bad shape under the "hood".

i have been thru everything i can think of and i have been reading up on here all week.

so here goes...
    =============
    it runs fine now with the water hose hooked up in the yard. it will idle and free rev all day, but after i back it in the pond (leaving it strapped to the trailer), it will run with a load for about 10 seconds then bog down and eventually die after a few more seconds. if i play with the choke i can get a few more seconds out of it but then its dead. back in the yard with the hose hooked up and the ski level it is a real bastard to get started again... i am 95% sure its running out of fuel at the carbs.

the battery is charging @ 13.3v, i have unplugged the grey wire in the electrical box and everything else looks great in there.
    the DISPLAY does NOT work and the only thing i have read about that i can even thing to do from here is go buy a 33 ohm resister to fool the sender unit encase she is in limp mode. i will be doing that tomorrow.

i have been thru the carbs 3 times, they are clean. when this happens it is not draining the fuel bowl and the filter/ screen is clean.

my only other concern is could i have swapped some fuel or vent lines and not know it? seems if i did that it wouldnt run at all.
    im guessing fuel delivery to the carb or a possible problem in the fuel pump on the carb.

im at my roads end here. thanks for any advice and i have no problem taking pics of how my fuel lines are routed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug the dead MFD. No need for 33 ohm resistor if MFD is disconnected, since the MFD is how the low fuel signal gets to the RPM limiter (gray wire, which apparently you have disconnected anyways).

Do confirm you have the fuel hoses correct at the fuel tank and everywhere else. Especially the crankcase pulse hoses to the fuel pumps on the MAG and PTO carburetors.

Is the fuel selector valve leaking air under suction? It is common to replace or rebuild the fuel selector valve as air leaks cause weak fuel delivery.

Battery voltage when charging should be above 13.5 volts with engine running, typically about 14.5 volts with engine at mid-high RPM.

No need for the garden hose when just trying to get the engine started. You can safely run the engine for 10-20 seconds without water, 30 seconds if the engine was fully cold.

Banned User
    +1
    Actually Im pretty sure the MFD has no effect on limp mode. On the 96 SL 900, there is a separate LR module with a tan, pink and blue wire that connects to the board. The limp mode function goes through this module, not the MFD.

If it truly in in limp mode, it will sound like its misfiring. It will rev up to 4200 RPM and then it sounds like its missing. If its bogging, you most likely have a fuel delivery issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Actually Im pretty sure the MFD has no effect on limp mode. On the 96 SL 900, there is a separate LR module with a tan, pink and blue wire that connects to the board. The limp mode function goes through this module, not the MFD..
    This is what I was thinking as well. The SLT 700 I just pulled apart doesn't have an MFD, but does have a limit feature through the LR module...... Of course, that's not to say that a bad MFD won't possibly mess with the ignition...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Unplug the dead MFD. No need for 33 ohm resistor if MFD is disconnected, since the MFD is how the low fuel signal gets to the RPM limiter (gray wire, which apparently you have disconnected anyways).

Do confirm you have the fuel hoses correct at the fuel tank and everywhere else. Especially the crankcase pulse hoses to the fuel pumps on the MAG and PTO carburetors.

Is the fuel selector valve leaking air under suction? It is common to replace or rebuild the fuel selector valve as air leaks cause weak fuel delivery.

Battery voltage when charging should be above 13.5 volts with engine running, typically about 14.5 volts with engine at mid-high RPM.

No need for the garden hose when just trying to get the engine started. You can safely run the engine for 10-20 seconds without water, 30 seconds if the engine was fully cold.
    i have no hose diagram so i was going to show you what i have if that's ok. i found an old post of yours that showed the pto carb diagram and i got the fuel inlet and crank pressure digram for that carb only.

someone had their hand on this before i did so im looking for mistakes.

first question.... in this pic using my "pointer" where the white zip tie is, should this be capped with a vent plug like this one is? or vented?

here are the fuel lines. the line i am point to goes strait down to the crank case. the line directly below it comes from the tank. its the line between the red and white sender wires. i believe that SHOULD be the fuel supply line to the carb pump?

final pic. this line that come from the top of the pic comes from the petcock and as u can see has a splitter on it.
    does any of this hose routing seem incorrect?

also, to unplug the MFD, is the a plug in the acess panel behind the choke? or unplug it from inside the box?
    thanks a lot guys, im ready to kick this pig!

i wrote a well worded reply this morning... can any of the mods see it or is it lost?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sixohh View Post
    i wrote a well worded reply this morning... can any of the mods see it or is it lost?
    I see a long post from 11:41AM.

this line in my hand with the splitter on it comes from the petcock.

this line im pointing to goes directly down to the crank case/
    the hose directly below it comes from the fuel tank. specifically the hose between the red and black wires for the fuel sender...

yep. i cant see it. says flagged for moderation. hmmmm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sixohh View Post
    yep. i cant see it. says flagged for moderation. hmmmm
    Should be visible now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information