Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2008 FX SHO, need help!

Hi, all! Thanks for having a great forum!

I have a pair of 2008 FX SHO's! Was riding yesterday and one of the Ski's died! No reason, just died! Both Ski's have approx, 80 hours. Mostly fresh water.

This is our first time in the water this year, since we had it serviced in April. I checked oil, battery and fuel, prior to taking the Ski's out.

While towing the one Ski back, some Jack A$$ in a 60' footer almost drowned us. This caused the Ski that was being towed to all but sink. I pulled the Ski to the beach (or as close to the beach as I could tow it, then pushed it onto the sand. Pulled both drain plugs out and drained as much water out of the Ski as I could drain the water (not enough slope to drain it completely).

I was afraid that this would happen again, so I called Seatow to bring it to shore safely. (And no, I am not a member! It cost $250.00!). Once on the trailer, I drained out as much Salt Water as I could with the drain plugs out and trailered them home. Once at home, I noticed that the Vent line going to the Generator was off. I pulled all plugs and noticed that no water had entered the cylinders. I pulled the Oil DipStick and noticed water was in the engine. So, I sucked all of the water out of the Ski. By now, it's almost dark and all of the repair shops are closed.

So, I took it to the repair shop today, and the tech called me back and said that it would cost me around $3,500.00 to repair the Ski. He said that the vent line for the Generator was off and water entered the system. He also stated that it had Blown, all of the fusses. To sum this up. He said that the engine would need to be removed from the Ski, and that a new Generator and Wiring harness would be needed to fix the Ski!

Now the Question!
    Do I need a new Generator? Do I need a new Wiring Harness? Does the Engine need to be pulled?

If anyone can shed some light on this, please let me know, and thanks to all!

Anyone have any infor?

+1
    I don't believe it. Maybe a new alternator, but the wiring harness destroyed from brief contact with salt water?

What I would do is get some electrical spray or something and go through the connectors, fuse box, alternator and replace all the blown fuses. The connectors on these machines are water proof and might be clean.

Try to dry everything out well and see if the machine will fire.

Hi I have a 2008 sho with a blown engine and might part it if I cant get a complete engine

+1
    Doesn't sound right. Water entered when towing and not running in to the bottom end, so a few good oil changes and check again. In fact, yours has the oil line to the very bottom of the pan to the rear. Pull it and let it drain in the hull. Refill and do it a few times until clear. The generator is oil cooled, so some oil was present and doubt it could have been destroyed that quickly, again when not running. Easy to drop in fuses yourself. What caused the immediate shut down is the question.

Thanks, Forks. I have sprayed all connections with Elec spray. Starter will not turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Doesn't sound right. Water entered when towing and not running in to the bottom end, so a few good oil changes and check again. In fact, yours has the oil line to the very bottom of the pan to the rear. Pull it and let it drain in the hull. Refill and do it a few times until clear. The generator is oil cooled, so some oil was present and doubt it could have been destroyed that quickly, again when not running. What caused the immediate shut down is the question.

Not sure what happened, wife was driving it and it just stopped running. She said that she was doing about 30mph when it died. Also, do you are can you tell me more about the oil hose? Last thing. On the rear of the engine, left side, is a steel line with a connector on top of it (a place to connect a hose). It was off when I got the Ski trailered. The hose is a short hose that is connected to a black box. Hope all of this info helps. $3,500.00 is a whopper to swallow!

The tech at the shop, told me that the steel line is a vent line for the Generator.

+1
    Steel line? There is a rubber line from the oil pan to the generator bottom. Can pull that line and drain the engine of the contaminated oil. Tilt the ski back to get more out. May have to repeat as needed. How long did the ski sit with water in the bottom? It was fresh water correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffIvy View Post
    Thanks, Forks. I have sprayed all connections with Elec spray. Starter will not turn over.
    Was there water in the connectors? Did you go through the fuses? Does the instrument panel activate with the remote?

Do as Lee said for the oil.

I'm sure some more experienced people will chime in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information