Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Seized piston. Need help!!

What's up guys. I'm new to the forum and the jet ski world. Just picked up a Polaris sl650. Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in. The guy I got it from said he was going across the water and it quit. After he got it home it was locked up. Well after I started tearing into it I found the middle piston to be seized. The 1st and 3rd piston I can move a little and the tops of the pistons were a little oily along with the spark plugs. The middle piston is dry as can be and very clean. My plan is to rebuild the top end I just can't figure out how to free up this piston so I can get the cylinder off. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a feeling it has something to do with the crank, that's the explanation for the middle one being locked up and the other two being able to move. Unless, the piston somehow or broke or there is something stuck below/beside the piston.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada

What model year is this SL650?

Is the engine still in the hull?

How far down have you removed parts?

How much money are you willing to put into this project, roughly?

I was hoping just to replace the middle piston and get it running then do a rebuild this winter. If the piston is seized in the jug how do I go about getting the jug off? How would I check the crank?

It is a 92. Yes the motor is still in the hull. The only thing I've removed are the heads. I don't want to get to carried away yet until I get a service manual. That should come in the mail tomorrow. As far as money Id just like to get the thing running so I'm not real sure I have a set amount. If that makes any since.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    Spray the piston with a healthy dose of PB blaster. Unbolt the Jug base nuts and pull up. Unless the piston siezed at Top Dead Center, you should be able to pull the jug/piston up and get the crank to move. The only way to remove it is to twist and pull until it comes loose. If you lift the jug and the piston comes up with it and the other two DON'T move, you have a broken connecting rod......

How about a photo of the motor with the heads off??

Sorry for the crappy picture. Hopefully this will help.

Ok so now I was able to get the piston free with out taking anything apart besides the heads. It now turns over with the start and I can rotate it with my hand. Everything seems to be free and moves. My next question is what do you guys think caused this to happen? The carbs were rebuilt and it has the triple outlet fuel pump. All this was done before it locked up.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    What do the cylinder walls look like? You will need to inspect the piston itself and get a few pics of the skirt to see what kind of seizure you had there... Also will want to take a look at the connecting rod and bearings to make sure nothing bent when it stopped......

Could have broken a ring, lack of oil - Premix or injection? , cold seize etc...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information