Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1994 SLT 750 Fuji Rebuild

I recently picked up a new project; rebuilding my SLT 750 fuji jet ski. This ski has some great memories, and by that I mean by the end of last summer I wanted to blow it up. My last trip to the lake with the ski, it caught fire. I had recently replaced the water cooler gasket on the pto cylinder. It ran great for about 10 minutes then stopped working. I got the ski up to shore and began to troubleshoot, which didn't result in anything good; the ski caught fire. The summer before that, the ski took off across the lake and hit rocks damaging the hull. Long story short, I bent God's ear talking about that ski.

So anyways, I decided to try the ski out again; but this time do it right and rebuild the whole thing. I started by taking the gas, oil, battery, and front bin out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130605232815.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	302926
    As you can see there is some oil in the bottom of the jet ski.. I'm still curious as to what started the fire last summer, whether it was this or gas fumes.. Then I began with pump removal.. Easy.

Name:	20130605232748.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	302927
    I'm not quite sure why I did this.. but what the hell. Then I began with the intake removal to get to the carbs, in which I plan to rebuild. I haven't fully removed these, I'm having trouble getting to the very last bolt on the PTO cylinder. Any suggestions for this?

Name:	20130605232808.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	302928
    You know how your not suppose to get to mad at a project, just take a break and everything? Well, I decided to be an idiot and try to take out the 14 bolts connecting the carbs to the cylinders. I broke a few tools in the process, and the few that I threw I couldn't find. As I had trouble taking out that last bolt I skipped and plan to try again tomorrow. I went to the exhaust removal..

Name:	20130605232802.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	302929
    I've also taken out the upgraded gas pump, I plan on replacing all fuel lines also.. Suggestions for these? I haven't taken those out yet though. Does anyone have any suggestions on repairing the hull? I'm going to get everything out and repair the bottom of the hull, as it has a small leak. I also want to repaint the ski, any suggestions? Thanks for all the help, and for looking! I want to do this right! So any help or constructive criticism is appreciated!
    Last edited by Carson; 06-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

I'm not quite sure why I did this.. but what the hell. Then I began with the intake removal to get to the carbs, in which I plan to rebuild. I haven't fully removed these, I'm having trouble getting to the very last bolt on the PTO cylinder. Any suggestions for this?
    Get a short ratcheting closed end wrench - makes it much easier

You know how your not suppose to get to mad at a project, just take a break and everything? Well, I decided to be an idiot and try to take out the 14 bolts connecting the carbs to the cylinders. I broke a few tools in the process, and the few that I threw I couldn't find. As I had trouble taking out that last bolt I skipped and plan to try again tomorrow. I went to the exhaust removal..
    Gotta get the carbs out first, then the intake manifold is easy

I've also taken out the upgraded gas pump, I plan on replacing all fuel lines also.. Suggestions for these? I haven't taken those out yet though. Does anyone have any suggestions on repairing the hull? I'm going to get everything out and repair the bottom of the hull, as it has a small leak. I also want to repaint the ski, any suggestions? Thanks for all the help, and for looking! I want to do this right! So any help or constructive criticism is appreciated!
    IMHO, you can find a donor hull of that model much cheaper than repair/repaint (unless you are wanting to customize the paint job)

wow..thats where they get the meaning (hot seat) i guess.!!

Quote Originally Posted by polarisjunky View Post
    wow..thats where they get the meaning (hot seat) i guess.!!
    Haha, that is so true. Does anyone know a reason the fire could have started?

Quote Originally Posted by TBone14 View Post

Get a short ratcheting closed end wrench - makes it much easier

Gotta get the carbs out first, then the intake manifold is easy

IMHO, you can find a donor hull of that model much cheaper than repair/repaint (unless you are wanting to customize the paint job)
    Okay, let's say I don't repaint it.. would it still be harder to repair it rather than purchase another hull and put the engine in there? That just sounds pretty complicated.

+1
    Would assume to repaint it you would take all of the parts out / off of it anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Would assume to repaint it you would take all of the parts out / off of it anyway......
    True, but I've never painted a jet ski before.. I want to, just to make it look cool and customize it. But if it's way out of my price range, I have no need to.

+1
    You could just do the top deck to customize it, but I thought I had read you had bottom damage to fix and paint...... Up to you!

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Depending on what you want to do - plan on at least $250 to paint a ski (if you want to do it right) - probably more if you want to customize

Post a pic of the damage

Quote Originally Posted by TBone14 View Post
    Depending on what you want to do - plan on at least $250 to paint a ski (if you want to do it right) - probably more if you want to customize

Post a pic of the damage
    I will when I get everything out of ski. The holes not any bigger than a golfball, but I will have to sand it down some because I've already tried rubber spray and a fiberglass repair kit. But, there was also water in the bottom of the ski when I did this. So I believe that if I clean the ski out inside and out, and repair it correctly instead of half-assing it, it'd work. That is where I went wrong with this ski, half-assing and just wanting it to be on the water. But I'm doing this correct now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    You could just do the top deck to customize it, but I thought I had read you had bottom damage to fix and paint...... Up to you!
    I could honestly care less about the bottom being painted. And honestly, I'd just paint the small part where it was damaged. So I'll do that anyways. I like the ski in your pro pic and signature. How much did it cost you to make yours look that nice? I really just want to clean my up.

Carbs are out.

Name:	20130607142313.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	303156

+1
    How much did it cost you to make yours look that nice? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130607142313.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	303156
    Well not much really, that's how it was when I got it. It's not quite as nice in person... The camera really helps it out....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information