+1

Wriii 650 - wuz rong???

Hi guys. Bought a new to me, 1991 Waverunner III a couple months ago, and its driving me crazy!! I've dumped and dumped new parts in this thing and still can't get it to go right! In the video, you'll hear me hammer on the throttle twice, and then try to slowly bring the motor up. Either way I do it, the motor will not fully open up. She idles like a kitten. Runs OK from zero to half throttle. But, anything half throttle and above falls on its face. Please see the video of what its doing here: I've now put twice as much in parts into this ski, than I did to buy it, and it still hasn't fixed it. List of what I've done: Changed plugs (gapped right), changed CDI, changed coil, replaced all fuel and vent lines, replaced fuel filter, checked oil delivery, bypassed petcock, tore down and replaced everything on carb - made sure no blockage, (three times), checked reeds. (only 1 is ever-so-slightly open), tried unhooking the thermo, plugs have decent spark, both plugs are identical after running (a tad wet on both), compression 152/152, gas tank has good pressure build, motor is clean, with zero oil or fuel leaking anywhere. Please!! Help me!! I'm going nuts!!
    Last edited by stuff4mason; 06-06-2013 at 07:34 AM.

+1
    Never mind. I fixed it. Turns out, it was just the spark plug boots. Guess they may have been corroded and was not getting a good connection. Lots of wasted money trying to fix a $6.89 part. Oh well, I'm excited to get it out on the water and try it out.

+1
    Glad to hear that, Jim! Good luck to you!

+1
    Thanks CDW!

+1
    So, my WRIII has been doing great for the last couple of months. This last time we rode it, it was fine. We put it up on the trailer, took it up to the camper where it sat for two weeks with a cover on it. We took the cover back off and tried to start it, but got NOTHING. Once in a while the digital fuel gauge would come up and show fuel level, but that's it. Thought it was a dead battery. Checked it, and its perfectly 100%. Checked the main fuse and its fine. Thought the kill switch might be bad, but I took it apart and it seems fine. There was a small amount of water in the hull, but not enough to do anything. (I wouldn't think anyway). The ski is sitting down at our camper, so I have limited time to work on it and limited tools down there. I am heading back down with the full battery this coming weekend, and could really use advise as to what I should be testing and looking for to get this thing to at least do something!!! FYI - it has a new CDI, new stator, new plug wires and boots, new battery, etc....

Please help!!! Thanks guys!

+1
    the starter solenoid may be stuck shut.

Thread Information