Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2011 RXT-X 260 RS runs too lean?

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 RXT-X aS 260 RS and I installed recently a Solas SRZ CD 15/20R. Currently 58 hours on the clock, still under warranty, but the dealership can't take care about the problem before the end of next week. Maybe you can help me to solve the problem.
    Before I swapped the prop the ski ran with the old and slightly damaged prop 110 km/h. And now it has a problem.

I must mention that the ski sank during the first ride with the new impeller because the exhaust hose came off... The engine didn't run when the ski was sinking.
    After that incident I sucked all the water out of the engine + all hoses + intercooler, changed the fuel, have done an oil change for six times. I did the first 2 oil changes with an oil that is not recommended for wet clutches just to get the water out, later 4 more with a proper oil. I've got every time between 3-3,6l of the old oil out.

The acceleration is awesome until it the engine revs close to the area around 8.000rpm, what it just does when the ski gets air.
    Reving so high, it immediately cuts off all the power and it won't rev up anymore. After releasing the throttle for a second the power returns until the revs get too high again. I'm not talking about the rev limiter, it feels like there isn't one at all. My previous ski was banging the rev limiter and during a full throttle run the rpm was constantly above 8.000.
    My gauge saved an unbelievable max rpm of 8.637 and somehow I doubt that this can be true, because I've never seen the rev counter needle going that high. The ski is bone stock.
    When the water is flat and the ski gets no air the max rpm lies constantly at 7.500rpm. I can go that speed for a few seconds and then it's cutting off the power. When I keep the throttle down after it has cut off the power the speed goes down to 70km/h and it shows after 5 seconds "Check engine".
    I've checked all connections, changed the spark plugs again and they look somehow weird. They've been running for 45min now and almost look like new.
    On the top is something like a white layer on it, the rest looks like new. The marked part shows some blue discolorations, looks like it overheated.

As long as the engine is cold, it idles normal. When it is warm I can feel unusual vibrations. It looks like it runs too lean, what do you think?
    Maybe somebody knows what to do in this situation?

Click to enlarge the pic!

+1
    Have you checked the connection to the injectors or the injectors themselves? Have you tried another set of plugs and are those gapped properly? You only need two things to run: fuel & spark. You're lacking fuel it looks like. Find out why

+1
    Yes, I've checked all the connections. The injectors seemed to have some rust at the end and I cleaned that part with fuel. When they were out I was pushing the start button and they all threw the same amount of fuel and it was quite much.
    This is the second set of plugs and the problem is the same. Still didn't measure the gap, but last season it ran good with the first set of plugs and now it doesn't anymore.
    I'll take the injectors out and have a closer look. Is there a proper way to clean them?

I just wonder about the high max rpm. That sounds like an ecu fail?

+1
    Did u get water damage to the TB ? They play up after water damage and gets worse ...

+1
    TB?

+1
    Throttle Body

+1
    Thanks I'm pretty sure that the TB got some water. Apart from a little part of the nose the whole ski was under water... I don't know if it's damaged. The throttle response is good and it feels very aggressive in sport mode. The ski runs actually fine apart from some vibrations and the described problem at high rpm's, maybe due to a too lean combustion.

+1
    umm if the injectors have rust they have to go. You can't clean them. Have you seen the size of the valve in there? A piece of salt will mess them up.

+1
    There was just a little rust film on them and I could easily wipe it off. Now they look like new from outside.
    The valves looked good. I've should have mentioned that it sank im freshwater.
    Mhh, I'm really clueless now...

+1
    wrong, you can have injectors cleaned! by a pro at most injector clinics
    and then have them flow tested
    did you get any water in the fuel tank? if you did I would start there
    sounds like a dirty pick up filter on the fuel pump
    fresh water will plug the filter just a fast as salty
    did you buy a electric bilge yet?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information