Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1995 Polaris SL 750 will not start ( I just bought it)

Hello everybody. I am completely new to PWC. Im a pretty good car mechanic. I just bought a 1995 polaris sl 750. It has been sitting for 5 years. I drained the gas and oil put new in and filled the primer with gas or what I was told the primer was. I purchased a new batter filled it with acid and charged it with a trickle charger. I put the new battery in and All I get is a click in the box that is sitting on the battery. It clicks even when the clip is out of the kill switch. Could it be the kill switch or something else. When I bought it the guy used his battery form his pwc and it turned over a few times then he took it off.I only paid 250.00 for it and the trailer so I think I got a great deal if I can only get it started. I have called around here and cannot find anyone to work on it so im stuck with doing this myself. any help would be greatly appreciated. my kids are so excited to get this thing on the water. im tired of driving 2 hours away to camp so I can rent a jet ski.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Please read up on all of the necessary fuel system and other updates on here.. You really need to get the entire ski updated and in good health, or you wont be able to use it for long.....

As for your question........ It sounds like the starter solenoid is clicking, but the starter motor is not turning. There could be several reasons. Make sure you connected the battery correctly and didn't accidentally reverse the polarity. Make sure the ground cable connection to the motor base plate is intact. The starter motor may be frozen. The starter bendix inside the flywheel housing may be stuck. Can you turn the motor over by hand, by spinning the black plastic drive shaft cover 180 degrees, and turning the coupler? If not, the motor could be locked up, or the jet pump could be locked up. You can try this with the plugs removed to make your life a little easier.

What is the voltage at the battery when you press the start button?

I will check this when I get home from work and reply. Thanks

Well I did not have time to look at it last night. but I did find a small engine shop that works on jet skies. He said that he would fix the ski for 400.00. He told me since it has sit for a long time that he needed to replace all fuel lines/oil water seperator ( what ever that is) clean the fuel tank, rebuild the starter and clean the carbs. This does not seem to expensive. Im still going to look at it this weekend but if ll else fails this guy can fix it. does this price seem pretty fair. with only paying 250.00 for the ski i figured 650 total would not be bad at all if he is for real on this.

Ok I got the starter to kick in i guess sound funny but nothing happened. I can turn the motor over by hand. I can hear the starter engage but the motor will not turn over.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Terminology check.

'Cranking' means using the starter motor to cause the engine to rotate.

Firing means there is ignition and combustion, and the engine is at least trying to start.

Starting means the engine is firing and RPM is increasing as it catches and spins up.

Running means, well, it is running with the Start button released.
    'Turn over' means the same thing (to me) as cranking.

Per this thread;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2177331

the starter engages but enging will not crank at all. i can turn the engine by hand with the plugs removed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelers4life View Post
    Well I did not have time to look at it last night. but I did find a small engine shop that works on jet skies. He said that he would fix the ski for 400.00. He told me since it has sit for a long time that he needed to replace all fuel lines/oil water seperator ( what ever that is) clean the fuel tank, rebuild the starter and clean the carbs. This does not seem to expensive. Im still going to look at it this weekend but if ll else fails this guy can fix it. does this price seem pretty fair. with only paying 250.00 for the ski i figured 650 total would not be bad at all if he is for real on this.
    Sounds like he is proposing some proper maintenance. The materials you listed should cost you about $200 so he is charging $200 in labor. I would just get a used starter for $20 and bypass the hassle of a rebuild.

Its up to you.....

+1
    the starter engages but enging will not crank at all. i can turn the engine by hand with the plugs removed.
    Does it spin, or just stop?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Does it spin, or just stop?
    It spins. Just does not seem to catch anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information