So here's the juicy bits I am sure you are here for:

• Grab yourself the Hobby welder for $9 (or the 80 watt version, but may get too hot, making the plastic brittle)
  • Grab a package of plastic welding rods. I got the mixed bag, but if you can, just get ABS (white)
  • Pull your pump, drain the fluid, pull the cone and then pull the impeller. I picked up a Seadoo impeller tool for $8.95 from Bay Area Powersports. Have purchased numerous parts from them, including aftermarket MPEM for GTi and they've been good...
  • Use a well ventilated area like garage or porch area, because the fumes from the plastic are nasty/toxic, and always seem to drift towards your face.
  • Small pen style or LED flashlight.
  • If you have access to a dremel or die grinder with long shaft, it makes cleaning up the veins after melting easier.
  • Give yourself time, as this lower wattage is a slow process, but as stated, won't overheat the plastic and make it brittle.

OK... So here we go:

Start with your broken jet pump: (this is Seadoo, but may apply to other manufacturers as well - test plastic for "meltability" and try to determine type of plastic, but most probably ABS of some sort)

What I found best is to wipe the area with terry towel soaked in Acetone, then pre-melt all along the edge you are working on, pressing down into the material a bit like a hot knife into stick of butter. Pre-melting the edge not only warms the plastic up, but gives a fresh, raw plastic for the ABS rods to melt into and blend with.

You could die-grind the edge to new plastic, and then melt but I didn't do this.
Then I melted fresh ABS (white) rod all along the edge I just melted in the black plastic, making sure to hold the flat edge of the iron against the black plastic to heat it up, then pushing the end of the plastic stick against that flat hot edge and working the ABS into the melted black plastic. This ensures a strong bond.
Keep working back and forth across this broken vein, filling in with the white ABS. What you want to make sure of is to not melt too large an area... work in small segments to where the plastic almost liquifies. This will prevent pockets or bubbles from forming in the newly created vein.
What you should end up with is a nice, solid plastic area, perhaps a bit thicker than the stock veins. It will probably be rough, but you can come back and smooth that with the flat edge of the hot iron.
If like me, you have multiple broken/cracked veins, it should probably take 2-3 hours, but should end up something like this.
You will also end up with a ton of material on the "cup" side of the vein, which you'll need to use the flat edge of the hot iron to knock down flat, but retaining as much of the "cup" or "curl" at the leading edge as you can. Use the in-tact veins as reference, and hopefully you have enough of the previous vein to guide you. If not, this technique may not work, as there just won't be enough structure for the ABS to bond.
To check the strength of this new vein, (LET IT COOL FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR+ FIRST!) I took a very long, heavy duty flat-head screwdriver, wedged against the far side of the pump and the center and edges of the newly formed vein and pressed down with substantial weight. Didn't use all my weight, for I think even the stock vein would crack or snap, but enough weight to tell me that they were solidly formed.

Now, I must admit, one of my veins snapped out when I did this, which came from going too quickly and not getting a strong enough bond at the start between the white ABS and black plastic. Gotta make sure the black plastic and white ABS liquify and blend together. I re-did this vein, making sure to take the time the two plastics melted together properly along that edge, let things cool and then re-stressed with with the screw driver and it was solid.

I did some further smoothing with my dremel, the die grinder and the hot iron to try and get the surfaces as smooth as reasonably possible. But one must consider this is after the impeller, and while yes it could still cause some "cavitation" or bubbles if the surfaces were really rough, I don't know that would be as important as insuring your impeller is true and your intake/ride plate edges are all sealed with silicone properly.

My initial runs were not great performance wise, as this ski sat through the winter and had old fuel. I will probably pick up some carb rebuild kits to be sure. But once I got her warmed up, I was able to get it up around 6400-6600RPM for a long stretch. I also did some zig zagging and jumped some boat wake in an attempt to rough up the jet pump, and put some stress on things. I did not take it to the inlet to do some much desired surf jumping yet, as I gotta get the carbs rebuilt and tuned, but it was a pretty solid couple of runs.

However, I'm happy to report that nothing broke loose, and the repairs I did seem to be holding strong.

Obviously time will tell how well these hold up, but I wanted to share my experiences with others, as I have seen a number of people with this same or very similar issue with the plastic pumps. I will definitely post back positive or negative as the season rolls on.

Total Cost:

I probably spent about $25 on the materials, the Hobby burning tool and other things needed. Yep... $25!

I apologize again for the wordiness... I'm just the over-descriptive type... but I hope some of you found this information helpful and gives you the confidence to at least try to repair something like this and save yourself some $$. (or spend on other goodies)

I will be posting some of my other "MacGyver" additions/fixes to the skis, like repairing the GTi sea that was in pieces along the edge, (saving myself another $250) as well as making custom 3-tone seat covers for both my skis with this killer carbon-fiber marine vinyl I bought online that was incredibly inexpensive, and enough for me to make another 2-3 seats. I'll even do a post about painting both of them with a temporary spray booth I built in my garage, along with mistakes made there.

Stay tuned for my other posts, and thanks again to all who have posted helpful How-To's or comments to other postings!