Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need help figuring out which 4 stroke motor to put in my tiger shark monte carlo.

Before I begin I already own a 2008 RXT-X and love its performance.....I do not want to modify it.....This is for fun (well they're all for fun) and to see if a solid performing ski can be made from a non PWC motor. The stock motor will need to be rebuilt soon (it does run fine) but I've got the itch to do something unique with great performance. Mainly because the tigershark parts I've noticed are starting to get a little scarce and expensive. I bought the ski a few years ago and the people that owned it took really good care of it.....the hull is easy 9 out of 10 cosmetically

My plans were to buy a complete vehicle (wrecked car or with a bad transmission) and take the motor out along with the computer and wiring harness. I know proper cooling will be an issue but i will work that out later. My question for you is what would in your opinions be the best bang for the buck vehicle motor to use for the conversion.......Trying to keep the budget around 2Gs.....have already found a few hondas and toyotas for less than a G running on craigslist. Of course weight is a huge factor but if anybody knows which motors are reasonably usable for the task let me know.......I've already seen the video on youtube of the guy that put a toyota 1.3 in his tigershark but that thing only had 65 hp stock......I'm looking to build something at least 150hp..........

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Weight is only one factor. Engine shape and configuration, especially with belt drives and an oil pan make auto engines a difficult fit. The crank shaft in a marine engine is typically VERY low within the engine shape, in order to align with the jet pump drive shaft.

Automotive engines are often much deeper below the crank center axis.

+1
    use a arctic cat Z1 turbo motor. a stock engine can be 240hp with just a tune

+1
    I want to see this build!

+1
    Problem with the Z1 is it's cost prohibitive.......I'm really not looking for ridiculous horsepower.....Have the seadoo for that......fun and reliability. For the price of the z1 I can put a 4-tec in it.....

+1
    It is almost impossible to use a 'car motor' or non-marine motor to power a jetski. Engine mounts are never right, driveshaft height and attachability is never right, engine size and height are often wrong/too big, and the biggest problem ... cooling the exhaust. The entire exhaust needs to be water jacketed, and there is nothing like that for non-marine engines.

Putting a non-marine motor in skis has been thought about a lot, and attempted a few times, and I have never heard of a single one that actually hit the water and ran without issues. Getting the motor cheap is never the issue ... it is all the mounting, plumbing, water-cooling exhaust, driveshaft/drive attaching issues and the rest that always run into far more money and work than buying the motor.

Do yourself a favor and skip it ... ANY marine/jetski motor is a far better start than any non-marine motor. Just far too many hurdles and some of them cost significant fabrication and money to overcome.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    It is almost impossible to use a 'car motor' or non-marine motor to power a jetski. Engine mounts are never right, driveshaft height and attachability is never right, engine size and height are often wrong/too big, and the biggest problem ... cooling the exhaust. The entire exhaust needs to be water jacketed, and there is nothing like that for non-marine engines.

Putting a non-marine motor in skis has been thought about a lot, and attempted a few times, and I have never heard of a single one that actually hit the water and ran without issues. Getting the motor cheap is never the issue ... it is all the mounting, plumbing, water-cooling exhaust, driveshaft/drive attaching issues and the rest that always run into far more money and work than buying the motor.

Do yourself a favor and skip it ... ANY marine/jetski motor is a far better start than any non-marine motor. Just far too many hurdles and some of them cost significant fabrication and money to overcome.

If it was a bolt in in a day project everybody would be doing it.........Everything you mentioned are valid points and I have thought of them. This would be a long term project. My question never was "How Hard would it would be". My question is what car motor would be best suited with decent horsepower that would....... 1. Fit the height restrictions of the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the seat 2. present an acceptable weight increase factor (i know it will increase at least 50-100 pounds if its fuel injected and turbocharged.........

This is the beginning stage of the project. As with any radical project you tackle the problems 1 at a time. I'm 50 steps away from worrying about drive shaft alignment. Making the motor fit is number 1 on the list right now. Length wise there is more than enough room for just about any 4 cylinder....Width is pretty good also but I know most of the stock intake manifolds will be a problem because of the runner length ......height is the clincher.....I had thought about an 80s dodge 2.2 turbo motor (have alot of experience with these).....Very cheap, plentiful and lots of horsepower potential but i believe they are just to tall because of the cylinder head design. I know a toyota 2A (1.3 starlet motor) will fit but its a turd for horsepower....

Its work plain and simple and a lot of research.......but some people enjoy the build more than the drive.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Just a thought..... Marine motors are made to run at higher RPMs to deliver the HP, automotive motors are not, they rarely see over 5-6 RPMs.....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4skis View Post
    ... My question never was "How Hard would it would be". My question is what car motor would be best suited ? ...
    Dunno why you insist on using a car motor;

How about a Mercury drag motor?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post178524

+1
    Set a date and time that you will be done and post here. No negativity, just telling it like it like it is ... very difficult to do, and no reason to go so far down the hard road, but suit yourself. Never seen it done ... do it and impress us. Meanwhile we all ride ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information