Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1100 STX DI is overheating

Can someone please help me. I have a 2001 1100 STX DI ski and it is overheating. I had the shop flush the system and then they said it would work but it hasn't. I changed the thermostat and that wasn't the problem. It just smokes out the side. The shop said it ran fine on the hose. I am not sure if it is something I can fix or not. I am also leery about taking it back to the shop since I have already taken it there twice now and it still isn't fixed. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

+1
    Interested to see/hear what "thermostat" you changed, considering open-loop cooling systems don't have; t-stats, radiators, or antifreeze-type coolant.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    most likely the "thermoswitch", hailing from Paramus, I understand why you didn't catch the subtle "I'm scared out of my pants my ski is going to melt" accent

yeah.... the old "it ran good on the ho's" is simply a shop not equipped to deal with an overheating issue..
    Even a first year ski owner knows that using the hose runs the cooling system IN REVERSE.

find somebody/shop who can actually fix this issue, and at least make sure the emm gets cooling water while they try to resolve it, even if said cooling water has to be gravity fed from a five gallon jug

without knowing a thing about the ski or where you are I'll make a wider assumption that the cooling system is obstructed by lime buildup, a mud daubers nest, or aluminum corrosion from the engine

disclosing your location will perhaps net you a meetup with a local member...or a connection to a shop that can fix the problems first time around

Twokexlv6coupe - Sorry I am new with skis. It is called the water temperature sensor. And nice ski you have. Mine looks exactly the same. Have you ever had this issue?

NMPETER- Sorry about not telling you where I am. I am just learning about all this stuff. I am in Oklahoma City. I think it could be mud or seaweed caught up in it maybe. I am just not where I can take it apart at or if I absolutely have to find a good shop. The Kawasaki dealer that used to work on it no longer does skis anymore any they are the ones who told me to go to this other shop. I am just trying to save money and time. I found one other shop a little ways away but they said it would be a month before they can even look at it. I just got a copy of the service manual so maybe that will help. Please let me know if you can help.

Banned User
    +1
    Are you sure it is actually overheating and not just a sensor issue?

Yes I am sure because no water comes out the side just smoke and that can't be good.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    given that a cooling system issue needs to be dealt with effectively, I'd say take it to the shop and wait. If you melt the emm it's going to cost you a bundle..blow the engine..even more.

if you feel you must do something, backflush it on the hose like mad ( thru the fitting ont eh top of the exhaust pipe), then get the bits you need to split the garden hose into two lines:

one to feed water into the line coming off the port side of the jetpump, the other to feed the line going to the emm.

This will allow you to run the engine and check to see if you have water flowing properly. Remove the cap at the top of the exhaust pipe and put a restricted dump hose on that. You should get good water flow out of the top of the pipe and the outlet of the muffler box. The overheat warning comes from monitoring the water coming thru the exhaust pipe, so it's likely restricted somewhere.

Packed in weeds and sand can be tricky to dislodge if they have been in there for a while.

you could very well have some gunk obstructing the cooling lines, but this pretty close to fixing an engine that is always throwing a low oil pressure warning. You have to find the problem quickly

I'm sure you can find a reputable shop or perhaps another dealer. OK city is a major market, but getting anything done "quick" this time of year is difficult.

Okay thank you very much for the help. I am going to check my service manual and find the EMM.

+1
    Get some hose pitching pliers and while running with hose pitch both the hoses going to the pump one at a time. If one of them is clogged that might clear it out. You could also do this with a little bit of air pressure from a air compressor. I used air pressure on mine to verify all hoses are clear. It could also blow a hose or a gasket, so careful not to use too much pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information