Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 used motor questions

Hi guys, newbie to the green hulk. I've read tons of great forums in here an finally decided to join y'all! So here goes my first question. My 00 ultra bit the dust(grenaded PTO cylinder) and now I need a new one, question is do I pay to have mine rebuilt ($1700) or take the chance on a used running motor I have access to. The motor has 130 hours on it but I can pick it up for $400 with my core exchange, rebuilding myself is not an option at this time as I am working 80 hours a week.... So question is, buy the rebuild for $1700 or take my chances on the used one.... Advice?

+1
    Is your crank, case, and rod OK? If so, $1700 sounds high. However, if the rod & case are damaged, it could be very expensive.

Is the 130 hour engine running? Do a compression test on it. Do you know if it's ever been apart? Why do they want your old engine as a core?

I'd really try to make sure whichever engine you end up with has genuine Kawasaki parts, not aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Is your crank, case, and rod OK? If so, $1700 sounds high. However, if the rod & case are damaged, it could be very expensive.

Is the 130 hour engine running? Do a compression test on it. Do you know if it's ever been apart? Why do they want your old engine as a core?

I'd really try to make sure whichever engine you end up with has genuine Kawasaki parts, not aftermarket.
    Yes the my rod, crank, and cases are trashed.... I have replacement cases to ship with for a core. The 130 hour motor is currently in a running ski so I will have the seller do a compression check before I commit. The motor is from a jet ski parts company, that is why they want my core.... Said he will sell my parts as core parts. Also the $1700 for the rebuild included gettin my cylinders re-nickasiled. Would like to think that contributed to the higher cost. Thanks for the advice on the used engine, I will see if is all original or had aftermarket parts installed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnelson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

Yes the my rod, crank, and cases are trashed.... I have replacement cases to ship with for a core. The 130 hour motor is currently in a running ski so I will have the seller do a compression check before I commit. The motor is from a jet ski parts company, that is why they want my core.... Said he will sell my parts as core parts. Also the $1700 for the rebuild included gettin my cylinders re-nickasiled. Would like to think that contributed to the higher cost. Thanks for the advice on the used engine, I will see if is all original or had aftermarket parts installed
    Well, is he sending you just the crankcase and cylinders and heads? or all the accessories too, like stator, covers, exhaust manifold, intake, carbs, oil pump etc...

Reason I ask, is you have to find out why your piston failed or else you may spend $1700 for the rebuild and bolt parts onto it that will blow it again. (most likely carb went lean or an oil line to that cylinder failed or even a simple as the cooling to that cylinder failed to to a blockage in the head fitting) If you have never replaced the oil lines, thats probably what failed.

Yes the motor will come almost complete, heads, cylinders, cases and stator and cover, no exhaust or carb. I did an inspection of the carbs and oil lines and found no damage, also checked ghe cooling elbows and blew the hoses out with compressed air. I read somewhere that the stock pistons in these skis were prone to coming apart around the skirt... Possibly caused by water ingestion or poor maintenance? When I purchased the ski the motor was full of water so I spent a good two days drying out the cylinders with WD-40 and air. I'm hoping the piston came apart due to the fact that it set in water for some time. Am I correct in my assumption or should I probe further into the cause? Ski had 105 hours when it exploded lol.

+1
    Well, that solves it! If it was full of water for more than a day, the crankshaft was ruined. The rod bearings probably failed and let the piston go up high enough to hit the head and the rest is history.

Banned User
    +1
    If you have a core, why not send it somewhere for a rebuild? I would think you could get a full rebuild done for 1700 bucks. I would never pay that much for a used motor, especially one with 130 hours on it.

Thanks, didn't think about it seizing the crank bearings but makes perfect sense..... I have heard the factory cranks on these machines was actually very well made and would last many many hours if properly maintained. With that thought that's what made me lean towards the used motor, I figured for $400 bucks I could at worse put a fresh top end in it for another $400. And there ya go total investment $800. I figured better than $1700. Lol plus gettin married this fall so real hard to convince the fiancÚ that $1700 on my ultra was a worthy investment at this time �� . Thoughts? Better to bite the bullet and spend the money on a fresh rebuild?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    At 130 hours the used motor is ready for a top end job it self....

+1
    Can't do a top end for $400--at least you can't do it with quality parts.

Better listen to your fiance, happy wife=happy life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information