Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Engine Rebuild or Replacement

I believe I may blown a head gasket and over heated engine the first time out this year on one of our 05 RXTs. I essence of time I'm thinking about either having mine rebuilt or just buying a new engine. I do not trust local dealer to do this. So I'm looking for a source to either ship mine to for rebuild or a core on a new one?

Blue

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueforester View Post
    I believe I may blown a head gasket and over heated engine the first time out this year on one of our 05 RXTs. I essence of time I'm thinking about either having mine rebuilt or just buying a new engine. I do not trust local dealer to do this. So I'm looking for a source to either ship mine to for rebuild or a core on a new one?

Blue
    Where are you located? There are many members here that can either help you rebuild it or that will rebuild it for you. I don't trust the dealers either.

+1
    You can do it! Do some searching, take a LOT of pictures and go at it. At least get the head off so you know the full extent of the damage. This will also save you money. Like vspec said it would help to know your location,

Yeah, I think I can at least remove the head to see how bad it is. I can probably do it repair w/ some guidance. I've worked on a little bit of everything from F-16s to John Deere tractors. I use to build and race Mustangs years ago. Just got into PWC last year when I picked these two skis. Winterized by the book end of last year. Re-built both pumps and installed new wear rings and impellers this spring. My problem is time and summer is here.

Problem came from when took out first time this summer. Warmed it up taking easy up creek. Came back WOT about 65 MPH something let go, let off and it was running real bad, light came on, buzzer sounding and chk engine came on. I had already passed boat house so I tried to idle it on down to the launch b/c I was the only one on the lake. Temp light finally cam on buzzer sounding. I idled as long as I could stand it then shut it off. Had to swim it back to launch.

Up on inspection found upper inter-cooler hose came off. During winterization I replaced w/ a band clamp. I did not have a good stainless steel one. All I had was a cheap one from parts store. I'm guessing head gasket blew first and pressure in water jackets blew hose off, which caused the high temps which melted the exhaust temp switch.

Finding a little water in #3? forward cylinder. Suctioned it out. Once I cranked enough to clear water out of jacket it will start and run albeit rough. Can throttle it some and you can hear it want to wind up. However once you turn on cooling water it kills engine.

I've got a compression checker but no fitting for this small of spark plug. Tried to find an adapter today but was unable to locate one locally.

So, I'm not sure if I need to just re-build the top end or should I also be concerned w/ bottom end as well? And w/ 90 hours is it just worth starting over w/ a rebuild?

Blue

Finding a little water in #3? forward cylinder. Suctioned it out. Once I cranked enough to clear water out of jacket it will start and run albeit rough. Can throttle it some and you can hear it want to wind up. However once you turn on cooling water it kills engine.
    Does this sound like a blown head gasket issue? Would it be best to rebuild engine at this point w/ 90 hours or just the top end?

Blue

+1
    Does this sound like a blown head gasket issue? Would it be best to rebuild engine at this point w/ 90 hours or just the top end?

Blue
    if it was fresh water in the cylinder the intercooler is leaking its located inside the manifold. if your coolant bottle is puking antifreeze out the overflow its your head gasket but, from what it sounds like it your intercooler.

It was in fresh water. One of the first things I checked was coolant level. It is at the same level. I do not recall noticing any back pressure in coolant bottle when it was running. I will check again before I take apart. Engine cooling system does not appear to be compromised. When it runs you can hear a low sounding burble, kinda like bad doughnut gasket on an old exhaust manifold. And you can get a whiff of exhaust fumes coming from inside. So my guess is either a blown head gasket, warped head, or a cracked or defect exhaust manifold. Or as you mentioned intercooler.

I cannot do any more damage by taking apart. And it is not going to run like it is. I found an adapter to fit spark plug hole so I'm going to do a compression check first.

+1
    maybe dropped a valve, and cracked the sleeve in one cyl. Pull the plugs, and check cranking compression.

+1
    It was in fresh water. One of the first things I checked was coolant level. It is at the same level. I do not recall noticing any back pressure in coolant bottle when it was running. I will check again before I take apart. Engine cooling system does not appear to be compromised. When it runs you can hear a low sounding burble, kinda like bad doughnut gasket on an old exhaust manifold. And you can get a whiff of exhaust fumes coming from inside. So my guess is either a blown head gasket, warped head, or a cracked or defect exhaust manifold. Or as you mentioned intercooler.

I cannot do any more damage by taking apart. And it is not going to run like it is. I found an adapter to fit spark plug hole so I'm going to do a compression check first.
    IF it is fresh water getting in to the cylinders then it is NOT a head gasket/warped head...It sounds to me that the ICer has let go.....

Well, adapter for compression tester was the wrong one. My good wife is going to pick me up a whole new compression tester kit in town today. So I'll test cylinders this evening.

Question. When this problem occurred lights started flashing, messages came up, buzzers where going off. You would of thought a plane was going down! I was expecting to find some codes. I checked for codes and it goes straight to "End". Why did it not throw some codes when it went down?

Blue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information