1990 650sx . new to me , looking for all the info posible !

My first post please bear with me...
    name is Gus . HI
    I just bought a 1990 650sx . it runs . haven't put it on water just yet , waiting for the weekend .

Im looking for info in where to get parts . good venders . place to get a pdf manual ? maybe free ?
    common weak links in this pcw ?
    things to look out for ?
    common mods ?

it spit oil from the exhaust . how much is normal ? Im not new to old 2 strokes . (dirt bikes ) but this thing SPITS OIL literally ! lol

the guy who i bought it from said that he took it to a shop and they did a mod to not make it idle, ( like a killswitch if you fall ) ? has anybody heard of such thing ?
    it sounds kinda stupid . i didn't pay much for the 650sx. $400 . im sure i can fix it if it isn't right . (i know this things do circles around you when you fall off )

ill post pics . I also need the front gas cap trim piece . if anybody knows how to get a cheap one . hit me up !
    thanks in advance

sx650

I also recently bought 2 90' sx 650s one of them is stock, the other has a lot of aftermarket parts just rebuilt both the carbs one was a cdkII the other was the cdk. is the oil injection blocked off on your ski?

and ill keep an eye out for a gas cap cover i should have one around here somewhere

the Kawasaki website has part exploded pics, part numbers and manuals. Rebuild the carbs and it should clean up the exhaust - they're kind of smokey at idle but I haven't noticed oil (i do run pre-mix)

[QUOTE=fish87;2182245]I also recently bought 2 90' sx 650s one of them is stock, the other has a lot of aftermarket parts just rebuilt both the carbs one was a cdkII the other was the cdk. is the oil injection blocked off on your ski?[/

It has to be blocked off . i didnt know they came with injector setups . it has no oil reservoir .

+1
    [QUOTE=gus;2182413]
    Quote Originally Posted by fish87 View Post
    I also recently bought 2 90' sx 650s one of them is stock, the other has a lot of aftermarket parts just rebuilt both the carbs one was a cdkII the other was the cdk. is the oil injection blocked off on your ski?[/

It has to be blocked off . i didnt know they came with injector setups . it has no oil reservoir .
    Yep factory was injected, but premix is fine at 50:1.
    The kill feature, I would hate that, I love that when I fall, in deep water, the ski will slowly idle in a circle back to me, saves a lot of swimming. Wish my sxr did that like my 1990 sx.

A lot of hull parts are no longer available from Kawasaki, like the gas trim, so you just need to hunt for one. I had to modify mine and add a boat style cap for lack of parts.

Good luck! Have fun

[QUOTE=SplishSplash;2182474]
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fish87 View Post
    I also recently bought 2 90' sx 650s one of them is stock, the other has a lot of aftermarket parts just rebuilt both the carbs one was a cdkII the other was the cdk. is the oil injection blocked off on your ski?[/

Yep factory was injected, but premix is fine at 50:1.
    The kill feature, I would hate that, I love that when I fall, in deep water, the ski will slowly idle in a circle back to me, saves a lot of swimming. Wish my sxr did that like my 1990 sx.

A lot of hull parts are no longer available from Kawasaki, like the gas trim, so you just need to hunt for one. I had to modify mine and add a boat style cap for lack of parts.

Good luck! Have fun
    Aha ! Thats probably why it spits so much unburned oil . The guy I bought it from said 32 / 1 ratio. Im drainning the tank and getting fresh mix in it .
    I bought a maier front piece and the hood seal from cheap cycle parts last night. I read somewhere that you cant use those nose trims with the stock gas cap ?

Im finally dunking it in the lake in a couple of hours to see it its worth its salt.
    Last edited by gus; 06-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.

OK . It didn't sink . fires up every time with no problems . fast lil ski , it will run with no problem full throttle for a while . then I stop for a few get back on it and it bogs , like if it was starving for fuel or running on one cylinder. (feels like it is at less than half throttle when it is WOT ) . I can stop shut it off chill at the dock fire is back up and it has full power again. I looked thru it . found the fuel pump diagram in bad shape I ordered a rebuild kit. also found that the kill switch works, I ohm'ed it out to the coil box... it idles when i turn up the idle screw .
    the problem is that the wires have been nipped at the coil . about to reconnect and test the kill system .
    also.. the carb weeps fuel out of the throttle butterfly shaft screw ( small lil mess in the manifold doesn't look like a safety issue ) I took it apart , but there are no seals in the shaft ? is this just normal wear on the shaft ?

I mixed 40 :1 quicksilver . btw

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    OK . It didn't sink . fires up every time with no problems . fast lil ski , it will run with no problem full throttle for a while . then I stop for a few get back on it and it bogs , like if it was starving for fuel or running on one cylinder. (feels like it is at less than half throttle when it is WOT ) . I can stop shut it off chill at the dock fire is back up and it has full power again. I looked thru it . found the fuel pump diagram in bad shape I ordered a rebuild kit. also found that the kill switch works, I ohm'ed it out to the coil box... it idles when i turn up the idle screw .
    the problem is that the wires have been nipped at the coil . about to reconnect and test the kill system .
    also.. the carb weeps fuel out of the throttle butterfly shaft screw ( small lil mess in the manifold doesn't look like a safety issue ) I took it apart , but there are no seals in the shaft ? is this just normal wear on the shaft ?

I mixed 40 :1 quicksilver . btw
    I order'd a maier nose piece it arrived today. its a hollow cover . I called and ask if it was missing the hardware , because I don't see a way to bolt this thing down . they said the gas cap hold it down ... pretty stupid setup . probably works but for 50 bux, I was expecting something better .
    Any body have info on the carb leaking fuel ?

Thread Information