working with gel coat on kawasaki

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a Kawasaki ski and am having some issues fixing some chips / gouges in the gel coat. They have several places on the lower half off the hull where gel coat has been chipped etc. I have been able to fix these easily using typical gel coat patch techniques.

They also have several chips on the top side which I thought I could fix in the same manor. What I found is that the top layer of gel coat is extremly thin. Its almost like when they were building the top side in the mold they sprayed a very thin layer of white gel then followed it up with a really dark beige gelcoat. Not sure if it was cheaper to do this but it makes fixing a pain since you have very little of the actual white to work with.

How do you all recommend to fix? I did the typical method of grinding the gouge out slightly then applied the gel paste. Next I attempted to sand smooth to prepare to buff. the problem is that the white is so thin you sand through it prior to ever getting to the buffing point... this is much different than any other boat I have ever done gel coat work on. Typically there is enough of the gel coat to work with so you do not run into this problem.

Any thoughts.. My only couple ideas is to match the white with paint and spray over the area... Or spray Gel. then sand and buff.

To me this is a pretty crappy way for the MFG to build.. it makes repair a complete pain. Not to mention typical dock rash that you would just sand out on ski with thick gelcoat is impossible with the methods used on this ski.

+1
    Depensing On How Old The Ski Is It I
    Maybe Gel And Paint On Bottom I Think It Was 5 Years Ago That They Stoped Using Paint On Bottom.. The Top Is Paint On All Kaw. Skis I Was Told This From A dealer

Banned User
    +1
    Top side is paint not gel coat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Top side is paint not gel coat.
    1+...yep its a paint (U.S paint) and followed up with a clear coat..don't know how big your chip/damage is but remember from the rubrail up is SMC...I believe from memory that the hull fiberlass (FRP) and a gel coat

Don't bother trying to get the the exact paint that Kawa used on your ski...they will give you the paint # but U.S. paint doesn't carry small amount sales...For the 2011 KAWA line they U.S. paint sold about 700 gallons of the black and and there finished...

Ask me how I know...did some major body work on my ski during the winter myself...tried every request to get original paint,but a West Marine jet black did the job...

Will post my build in the KAWA Projects soon ,job came out good...

G/L to you...

Banned User
    +1
    Just use single stage chevy black from DuPont or similar. You can follow up with clear for added protection.you can get the exact paint from cool rite if you want but it's a lot of money.

+1
    I Used Colorite Red On A 2000 Ski Perfect match

Thread Information