Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question RXP-X How hot is too hot?

Good morning everyone,

New to the world of supercharged engines and I took my machine out for it's first ride of the summer last night, everything ran great except
    I'm concerned about how hot the engine bay got. Is it normal for these machines to get real warm? After a ride around the lake at WOT and getting the machine back home the engine bay/engine was still pretty damn warm and even awhile afterwards as well. And cooled down after I took the seat off for awhile. Just seems that for a short ride like that it shouldn't have gotten that warm, but what do I know?

Approx 30min ride around the lake...

I inspected the engine at this time and didn't notice anything wrong, the coolant level on the intercooler was in the normal range.

I just don't want to be out on the lake and have this thing catch fire or something on me.

I'm going to get some flow-rite vents soon, but what is the consensus?

Is this normal for the engine bay to be really warm/engine to be really hot?

Merci buckets
    Last edited by LucidX; 06-07-2013 at 09:51 AM.

+1
    They do get hot. After half an hour ride, your at peak heat. Even after a couple hours, still hot under there. More air you can get out the better. I have six 2" frog skinz in mine. Until you get a hi-temp warning, your good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	303077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	303078

Damn... had a reponse typed out and hit the green reply to thread button.. lol

Thanks for the reply... I was really worried there. Didn't get so much sleep last night just thinking about it..... I know sad. :P

six 2" vents wow...

I'm going to start with two 2" vents for now and see if that helps at all.

Thanks again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidX View Post

Thanks for the reply... I was really worried there. Didn't get so much sleep last night just thinking about it..... I know sad. :P

six 2" vents wow...

Thanks again!

yes I can confirm mine gets very hot. stays hot under the seat for hours. imagine, big engine tons of hp NO airflow over it. so yes its gonna get hot real quick.
    try a cold thermostat. im in the process of doing it to my PX 260.

Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post

six 2" vents wow...

Thanks again!

yes I can confirm mine gets very hot. stays hot under the seat for hours. imagine, big engine tons of hp NO airflow over it. so yes its gonna get hot real quick.

Yeah there's a few things I'd like to do to this machine now. But geez just hearing it's not something wrong with my machine makes me feel great!

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.performancecatalog.com/Se...t-p/rs1015.htm ?

What would that do exactly?

I guess this would be an option as well http://www.performancecatalog.com/Se.../rs1013-50.htm

Do you have any vents dp?

Oh, one more quick question... what would the typical RPM be at WOT crusing at 70 (On the dreamometer) be? for a 08 rxp-x?

Jay which do you find better? The Flow rite or the Frogskinz?
    Last edited by LucidX; 06-07-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: woops

+1
    Jay which do you find better? The Flow rite or the Frogskinz?
    frogskinz

+1
    Oh, one more quick question... what would the typical RPM be at WOT crusing at 70 (On the dreamometer) be? for a 08 rxp-x?
    About 8100 in our area with our temps. I see 8150 in colder air. You will drop 100rpm in warmer air and water temps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post

six 2" vents wow...

Thanks again!

Yeah there's a few things I'd like to do to this machine now. But geez just hearing it's not something wrong with my machine makes me feel great!

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.performancecatalog.com/Se...t-p/rs1015.htm ?

What would that do exactly?

I guess this would be an option as well http://www.performancecatalog.com/Se.../rs1013-50.htm

Do you have any vents dp?
    Yes the riva thermostat is a great option. you don't need an open loop cooling system unless you have a heavily modded craft. the thermostat would take your coolant temps from typically 190+ to about 160 degrees and in turn give you cooler temps under the seat and a tiny bit more power due to the engine breathing cooler air.
    hope this helps.
    I don't have any vents installed on my ski but I did on my modded 07 rxp. R&D has this ck the pic out on teir wbsite.

R&D Cool Air Vent Plate Kit

The R&D Cool Air Vent Plate Kit was developed to allow super heated hot air that builds up in the back of the hull from the water box, exhaust hoses, supercharger, and coolant reservoir to be quickly and easily vented out of the hull. The R&D Kit allows two large 3” holes to be drilled into the plastic seat base mount. The R&D Kit supplies two Vent Plates that pop rivet securely in place that allows hot air to escape out while muffling sound. A cooler engine room with improved air ventilation will add to engine horsepower output.

Pt. # 203-00270

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information