1998 Sea doo GS 720 good buy?

Looking at buying my first jet ski. My family owns a boat so im familiar with the marine world to some extent. Looking at maybe buying a jet ski from a guy in my town. Its a 98 sea doo GS with the 720 motor. Its overall condition looks very good and the owner "says" it has very low hours. I will find out how many. It was garage kept so it wasnt out in the elements. Anyway is this a quality ski? I know sea doo's name is pretty popular, but it seems i hear more bitching about the engines than anything. The asking price is $2300? Is that a fair price, id prob offer 2k maybe 2100 just bc its 15 years old. As a first time buyer and I am very mechanically inclined what are the big things to check before buying a PWC? test ride is a must as well. Ive owned 2 stroke dirtbikes for years so im familiar with the maintence. Any opinions or advice is welcome. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JET SKI.jpg 
Views:	6483 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	303167  

That's a descent ski, but not a popular one. The 720 engine is reliable as long as you replace all fuel lines, clean out the carb(s), and keep the fuel system good. The price seems real high. Two seaters are not very popular now, everyone wants the stability and towing ability of a three seater. I think 1500 - 1700 would be a fair price if it is in excellent shape and everything checks out mechanically. At 2300, it's not going anywhere soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    That's a descent ski, but not a popular one. The 720 engine is reliable as long as you replace all fuel lines, clean out the carb(s), and keep the fuel system good. The price seems real high. Two seaters are not very popular now, everyone wants the stability and towing ability of a three seater. I think 1500 - 1700 would be a fair price if it is in excellent shape and everything checks out mechanically. At 2300, it's not going anywhere soon.
    X2

I used to have a GSI (avatar pic) which is the same model with electric trim. It's a good beginner ski and is fun to play around on but that hull is not very comfortable to ride when the water gets choppy. If you ride with two people a lot then it's a little on the small side and is tippy at low speeds.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    As far as the marine world comparison with boat power and ski power there are none other than they run on the water. As far as engines, These engines are built to last and will. The only problems that known facts ARE that people buy them, ride them,and put'm up wet and expect them to run the next time out.....And they will IF they run the engine just out of the lake for 30 seconds with a couple throttle flip bursts to get the moisture motor killer out of the exhaust and fog the motor a touch to coat the crank it will last for years of service. i guarantee it, ITS NOT THE MOTORS FAULT and the reason you hear so much about SEADOO motors is because they sell like 5 to 1 and own like 65% of the watercraft market. As far as that ski, Its a great ski and fun to play on. i think its value should be around $1800 personally.

thanks for the replies. if i would go ahead and purchase this ski after a test ride and everything checks out is it advisable to replace the fuels lines and rebuild/cleanout the carb right off that bat? obviously im not looking to just waste money, but i have heard about the fuel lines on these things. can you replace them with basic line from like autozone or do i need seadoo specific lines? it sounds like 2300 is a bit high, but i dont want to insult this guy with a lowball offer, but im not going to overpay for something that just doesnt carry that value. whats a reasonable offer for a very nice condition ?

+1
    Yes you can replace fuel lines with regular fuel line purchased from any of your local auto parts store. I would say $1700 with trailer and in very good condition. Good luck.

Thread Information