Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: msx oil tank

msx oil tank

Need your help again!!!! My MSX which I previoulsy posted had milky oil, seems to be leaking oil from around the band does the tank spilt here?. If so has anyone details on how you do this, I would like to take it apart and re-set it. Is there a gasket inbetween?.

Any help would be much appreciated. The oil has turned milky again and the revs have limited to 5000. I am hoping the three incidents are related!!!

Thanks again (in advance)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Need your help again!!!! My MSX which I previoulsy posted had milky oil, seems to be leaking oil from around the band does the tank spilt here?. If so has anyone details on how you do this, I would like to take it apart and re-set it. Is there a gasket inbetween?.

Any help would be much appreciated. The oil has turned milky again and the revs have limited to 5000. I am hoping the three incidents are related!!!

Thanks again (in advance)
    You have water getting in there from somewhere. Check the seal at the top where the cap is.

I will check that - it makes sense - the oil could have come from the top and spilled over the band. Does the tank split in half anyway it would make it easier to clean out. Its pretty gummed up.

Before she limited I was running pretty hard on a 20mile run, no overheating so I presume the head gasket is sound.

Chris,

I am sure that is where the water and oil are coming together since there are two water lines hooked to the oil tank for cooling. I never tried to split mine when I had it out but I am sure that it does come apart there. I would give Jay a call out at Atlantic Power sports at 732-920-7669 he will know for sure and he can tell you what you need to do to fix it. I would definately not run that machine the way it is.

+1
    Chris, dont walk, RUN to the phone and call Jay at Atlantic Powersports before it's too late.
    732-920-7669

Now your worrying me guys, this engine / turbo is 8 months old and has 12 hours on the clock, I'm going to cry

I do not think that you need to cry yet. Don't run it and get the oil tank repaired. It is not that hard to remove. In the tech section the oil change procedure is spelled out very well. I would get the oil and tank out and call Jay for repairs. I would be happy to provide any assistance. PM me for a phone number and we can talk about it if you would like. Don't worry, you can fix it.

You guys are very helpful and knowledgeable,

I was told by my dealer that I can't change the oil filter myself, as it would need to be re-run through the dianostic to re-set it afterwards - before I remove the filter is this true?

Also going back to the theory of the leaking cap on the tank, when you take the cap / dipstick out should there be a metal washer in there as well as the rubber one, I have a vague memory there should be - but its gone now.

Thanks in anticipation.

Chris,

I've only had a rubber gasket on my oil screw cap.

How much condensation do you have in your oil? I have this problem every spring if i ride the MSX 150 when the water is extremely cold, or if I only run the motor short distances.

It was explained to me (I only had a small amount of moisture in the oil) by a dealer in Western New York that you will get a small amount of condensation in the oil sump if you run it out of water often (while using the flush kit of course), run it in extremely cold water, or take very short trips. The dealer said that this may cause condensation due to the engine not warming up enough to evaporate the moisture in the engine.

When running in extreme cold temps the icy cold water runs through the same storage tank as the warm engine oil, thus creating the possibility of condensation.

Once again, this has happend to me twice and both times were at the begining of the season. I chnge the oil and take a nice long ride and it usualy will take care of the problem. So far at least.

Chris,

Your dealer is wrong about the oil filter. I have changed my own oil several times and nothing needs to be reset. Before you go much further, have you called Jay out at Atlantic? He is the worlds foremost authority on this motor and he was invaluable when I rebuilt mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information