Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 virage CDI discontinued! Need help adjusting timing for new CDI.

I own a 2000 virage and the CDI went bad. after searching all over i found that Polaris discontinued that part. I understand that there is a difference in the flywheel between 2000 and 2002 engines. I ordered a 4010803 because The tech at Partsland said it should work without changing the timing because its not enough for it to make a difference. Not sure I trust that but i bought it anyway. I have not installed it yet because its still out on delivery. I don't want to run it if its going to cause damage. What steps do I have to take to check/change the timing after its been installed. I looked on the site but can't find what I have to do. I can't believe I'm the only person with this cdi issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am away from my computer, but look in my signature links for High Start flywheel info.

The timing difference is ten degrees which is certainly enough to make a difference.

Timing is adjusted via the timing ring near the center of the flywheel, held in place with small bolts in grooves. It seems that moving the timing ring right to the end of the grooves is about ten degrees change, just enough to compensate for using the 'other' CDI with different base timing.

Use a timing wheel to verify correct timing at the specified RPM
    Last edited by K447; 06-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.

I did check your link. It has great info on the difference between the two but not how to adjust the timing if you have to cross the two varieties. So I just remove the flywheel cover and the timing ring should be visible right?

Finally got the replacement cdi. I removed the stator cover. Loosened the two white screws and the flywheel will not move. Tried to lossen the mid bolt but don't know if its reverse thread or if I even need to take it off. Any help would be appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	304479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	304479
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    You loosen the two screws you loosened and turn move the screws within the slotted holes. The timing ring is behind the flywheel.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    with that much corrosion the timing ring might be frozen the the flywheel shaft on the other side of the flywheel.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    with that much corrosion the timing ring might be frozen the the flywheel shaft on the other side of the flywheel.
    Agreed

I might just send the new cdi back and search for a used cdi to match my flywheel. At this point it seems like corrosion will not let me move the flywheel. Should it move pretty easy when the mid bolt is tight and the two screws are loose? Cause right now the is no play either way.

just want to be sure on this. I move the timing bolts to the right as far as it will go. (clockwise) from the outside of flywheel correct?

Thank You

10. +1 by:

+1
    If you move the bolts the the right it will advance the timing.
    Which SHOULD be what you need. The correct timing must be confirmed with a timming light, 18 deg at 3000 rpm. This applies when ANY polaris CDI is replaced even when matching part numbers are swapped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using GreenHulk PWC Performance mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information