FX Intermittent Speedo Readout

New to the site... glad to be here, it seems to be loaded with really good information!

I have a 2009 Waverunner FX HO, which has the following issue... The speedo display will most of the time show half-value of the actual speed, as compared by GPS. Then on occasion the display will switch to the actual speed. I've checked the little paddle wheel at the bottom of the hull/aft, and it seems to be turning freely. I've had the machine at the dealer, and they say everything checks out fine.

Wondering in anyone else has had this issue, and/or if there are any suggestions for a fix?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Airboss View Post
    New to the site... glad to be here, it seems to be loaded with really good information!

I have a 2009 Waverunner FX HO, which has the following issue... The speedo display will most of the time show half-value of the actual speed, as compared by GPS. Then on occasion the display will switch to the actual speed. I've checked the little paddle wheel at the bottom of the hull/aft, and it seems to be turning freely. I've had the machine at the dealer, and they say everything checks out fine.

Wondering in anyone else has had this issue, and/or if there are any suggestions for a fix?
    the paddle wheel actualy has 4 tiny magnets in it, one in each paddle, 2 north and two south sounds like the magnets are getting weak and won't pulse the sensor, replace the paddle wheel if you can find one, Tommy Jordan

if you can get it covered under warranty replace it otherwise i wouldnt bother.youll find that even when its working its off from actual speed big time and usually the faster you go the more off it is.

Thanks guys... I will try replacing the wheel, and see what that does for me. I understand the inaccuracy of the speedo unit, as compared to GPS, but you would think that with the technology the manufacturers have today, that it would be more reliable.

Magnets will not weaken during the lifespan of your ski if ever. I have the same problem on my 2007 cruiser and I have a similar "issue" with my 12 HO. I put it down to 2 things. 1 - The wheel, which I believe doesnt have magnets at all but rather what is known a Hall Effect (I think) sensor which basically is a gate that shoots something like an infra red beam across the gate which the wheel interrupts. Because the water passing through here is turbulent and not constant, this throws the reading all over the place. 2 - This form of speed sensing is crap. They really should employ a GPS system....

Thread Information