2008 Seadoo RXT-X Not Winterized - What to look for?

Hey guys -

I have a 2008 Seadoo RXT-X that wasn't winterized during the winter and know its probably fucked up. I wanted to see if anyone can help tell me what I should look for before bringing it to the dealer and have them rob me just by saying oh it wasn't winterized so the ski is damaged. I know the chances of it being damages is great and expensive. Was hoping I would be able to see or know where to look to see the results of not winterizing. I live in Staten Island NY, we did have a pretty decently cold winter and it was in my driveway not the indoors.

Please advise
    thanks guys

+1
    Pistons may be rusted up a tad, fuel system may be gunked up from sitting all winter. The most important things to check are the intercooler, exhaust mani, and water box. If there was any water left in this system it can freeze over winter and crack the metal allowing for leaks.

Change the oil and plugs for sure after making sure nothings broken, i heard of people using anything from diesel fuel, WD40, penatrating oil, or marvels mystery oil to free up rusty piston rings.

pull your ignition coils,and spark plugs out and injector out and spray seadoo lube in all 3 injector ports on intake manifold, and down spark plug holes. then while cranking engine with throttle fully pressed to stop engine starting, i wrap my key lanyard around throttle and handle bar several times so it is held full throttle. this is drown mode and prevents starting. crank no more than 5 seconds at a time with breaks in between to stop starter overheating continue to spray lube in injector ports, this will coat all your valves and pistons, unplug your injectors electric connectors to stop fuel spray careful not to drop the orange plug gasket out of connector.. you could boroscope the valve stems for corrosion which is the main problem and boroscope down cylinder bore. goodluck or ask competent dealer to perform this

+1
    Water that had frozen would be your biggest concern. Like others said, pull the plugs and injectors and spray some wd40 or fogging oil and crank it over a few times. Put old plugs back in, start her up. If everything is good put in some new plugs, fresh oil and keep an eye out for an intercooler leak, maybe pressure test it if you can. Also before you do anything check for any animals that may have made a home in your exhaust or somewhere else.

+1
    Sounds like your all set in the good advise category.

All this you can do and save some big $$$
    Your probably going to have an inner cooler spring a leak and maybe the water box.
    If you bring it to a stealership they are going to know you don't know squat and bend you over at the sales counter.
    Hit the search function on this site and read up about how to change a inner cooler or water box.
    It ain't rocket science...

Rip on....

+1

Cool

Very unlikely you have any permanent damage.
    I don't think there will be any rust on pistons or valves.
    I've seen skis sit a lot longer and have 0 rust...

Your going to want to run the old fuel out or dump it.
    Run a double dose of Lucas fuel Injector and upper cylinder lubricant thru it.
    A clogged Injector can burn a piston fast...
    It's good you found this site. You could save some big $$$$

+1
    .....I would also change plugs again after consuming all old fuel..new fuel + new plugs = one less thing to worry about..but this is the least thing compared to the advice given above.

+1
    Um, did you at least run it on a hose or idle on the trailer at the ramp to see if you have any symptoms of issues?

Thread Information