How to: make a tow ring for GPR ( GP1300r )

So maybe you need to tow "something".

Parts:

Stainless U Bolt. I used this one, the base plate is rounded, not square like in the picture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3M 5200 http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adhe...ywords=3m+5200

Tubing same that will fit over U Bolt nuts to prevent chaffing( might not need these with free flow exhaust )

Metal. I used a shovel I broke. the metal was so hard I burned 2 drill bits

Cutoff wheel to cut metal and bolts to size.

Spray paint for metal back plate.

Im sure anyone can get the point from the pics, but if not...

1. remove battery and battery tub.
    2. ether loosen and pull back top half of rubber exhaust, or take it out completely. I had plenty of room just pulling it back.
    3. make template out of cardboard for backing plate.
    4. cut metal to template, and test fit. you will probably have to do some persuading to the metal to make it fit. I was lucky in the fact I used an old shovel that was actually very close in shape to the curve in the back of the ski. I did cut two slits in the sides for a little extra bend.
    5. mark then drill your holes in the ski for the U bolt, test fit U bolt the remove.
    6. test fit backing plate and persuade as needed. once you're happy, use a sharpie through the new U bolt holes you made to mark the plate.
    7. drill holes in the plate for U bolt
    8. Paint plate
    9. use generous amount of 3m 5200 on the plate to adhere it to the inside of the ski
    10. Install U bolt making sure to 5200 the holes and Loctite the nuts
    11. use cutoff wheel to cut bolts to side
    12 use tubing to cover bolts and protect from rubbing
    Done, reinstall everything you pulled out and go tow something.

I'm not responsible for any damage cause to your ski, your self, or another person

What have you towed (successfully) with this rig? I wanna pull a tube, you think this would work?

Quote Originally Posted by yamygp1200 View Post
    What have you towed (successfully) with this rig? I wanna pull a tube, you think this would work?
    180lbs on a tube. I believe the key to strength is how good you make the back plate. Mine is hard to see because its black but it spans nearly end to end.

+1
    If you are going to tow anything you need mirrors or at least that is what tie marine police tole me when i got pulled over here in Alabama.

Banned User
    +1
    Don't need tow mirrors but a mirror as the rules are written. Get a suction cup mirror to take on and ooff that's here in Ohio. Check local laws and to be honest they are usually vague and easy to get around

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Don't need tow mirrors but a mirror as the rules are written. Get a suction cup mirror to take on and ooff that's here in Ohio. Check local laws and to be honest they are usually vague and easy to get around
    The fifth law or regulation pertaining to personal watercraft in Alabama concerns the requirement of mirrors on the vessel if it is used for towing anyone. According to this Alabama law or regulation if a personal watercraft is used to tow someone, then it must be equipped with rearview mirrors that have at least 10 square inches of viewing area with a viewing area height of at least 2.5 inches and a viewing area width of at least 4 inches for a total of 20 square inches. These required mirrors are to be placed on each side of the personal watercraft, not on the steering mechanism, so that the operator has the ability to observe the person being towed. Violating this law or regulation can result in a fine of at least $100 plus any court costs.

Of course other states have different laws.

+1
    Thought this was interesting wile i was searching about towing persons. I like the mirror LAW at least i can ride by myself wile pulling anything.

OHIO BOATed

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
    Towing a Person with a Boat or PWC Legally

In addition to following the laws that apply to all boats and PWCs, operators towing a person(s) on water skis or a similar device must obey these laws.

Remember ... The law requires you always to wear your personal flotation device when water-skiing, tubing, or participating in any other similar activity.
    Skiing Confined to Ski or Open Zone (ORC 1547.14)

Any person who rides or attempts to ride upon water skis or similar device or who skis barefoot or any boat operator who tows a skier shall confine that activity within a designated ski zone or open zone.
    Exceptions to this section exist for Lake Erie and the Ohio River where these zones have not been established. This section does not apply if the vessel is traveling at idle speed in a designated “no wake” area and is not within:
    An anchorage area, a boat swimming area, or a boat camping area
    300 feet of a gas dock, launch ramp, harbor entrance, or bridge underpass
    Any area designated as a “no ski” zone
    No person shall permit operation of a vessel in violation of this section.

If towing a skier with a personal watercraft, it is recommended the PWC be rated for at least three people—the operator, the observer, and the skier.
    Observer Required when Towing Skier (ORC 1547.15)

Any person who operates a vessel towing a person on water skis, a surfboard, or other device or a barefoot skier shall have an observer ten years of age or older in the vessel who shall at all times observe the person being towed. The vessel operator shall observe the traffic pattern.
    No person shall permit operation of a vessel in violation of this section.
    Water-Skiing after Dark Prohibited (ORC 1547.16)

No person shall water-ski be towed on any device, or operate a vessel towing a person between sunset and sunrise except upon special permit. Consult an official sunrise-sunset table of the local area for exact times.

+1
    New york says the ski MUST be rated for 3 people and you need a spotter to watch the guy being towed

+1
    Netherlands has no law for towing persons ,unless you kill the person due towing then another law kicks in
    But nice how-to ,i was planning to make a tow ring on my GPR.

Thread Information