Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking into a WaveVenture760 and have some questions

My wife and I have never owned a jet ski and have came across what appears to be a not to bad a deal from a from of mine. This is a 97' WaveVenture 760 that has been sitting up for about 3 or 4 years and was supposed to be a running machine before sitting for so long. I drained all the old gas out of tank and put new gas in but the ski still wouldn't start. I sprayed some starting fluid over the carbs while trying to start and it would run while spraying it but otherwise will not run. So I took the carbs off the other night because I'm pretty sure they'll have to have a rebuild kit put in them and cleaned. From all indications the ski should fire up and run with the carbs cleaned and rebuilt. Is there a thread or write up somewhere of how to take the carbs apart to clean them and install a rebuild kit or is this something better suited for somebody that has done this before? The idea is with this ski is if it does fire up and run then we will not have a lot into it and if this ends up being something we like to use then we'd get a new one or one with low hours on it. Is there any good or bad points about this jet ski? I know so far other than having to rebuild the carbs I will have to get a battery, another fuel filter, and a reverse cable because the reverse cable is frayed pretty bad. Also where is a good site to buy parts for this ski? This looks like a nice site ! Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

+1
    This thread shows some carbs that are pretty similar to yours: Old School Carb Rehab.
    These carbs are pretty easy. Here's some tips:
    Buy and use only Genuine Mikuni carb kits.
    Use a hand impact on any of the philips screws that are really tight. That helps break them free.
    Get a couple cans of carb cleaner. when you get to the point where you can see the jets, stick the hose on the carb cleaner can, in the jet and spray. Watch inside the throat of the carb. you'll see it spray out and as it cleans those passages, it'll start flowing in a really nice stream.
    Follow that up with compressed air, doing the same thing.
    Use compressed air through all the passages in the carb in all directions.
    Install all the diaphrams and gaskets in the correct places and order. check different sources because sometimes it can get confusing. Even the diagram Mikuni sends with there kits is confusing and somewhat incorrect, IIRC.
    Here's a link to the Mikuni BN carb service manual: Mikuni Super BN carb manual

Thanks so much for the manual!! The carbs doesn't look to bad to take apart after looking at the manual. I'll get the mikuni rebuild kit this week. Thanks again!!!

Jamie R

+1
    I forgot to add...order the needle and seat at the same time. This ski is getting old and you might as well just replace the needle/seats while you're in there. they don't come with the rebuild kit and most people think of them as an after thought. Trust me, you'll wanna do it now when you have them apart.

Thanks and I'll make sure to get those also. What about the reeds? I'm guessing the reeds are between the carbs and the block, and behind the intake runners.

Jamie R.

+1
    Yes, that's where the reeds reside. If it ran and sounded OK you're reeds are surely good. The stockers are stainless steel and rarely ever fail. The reverse cable will be pricey new but you should be able to find a good used one ion the classifieds here or on fee-bay. That's a great machine with good power and still pretty easy on fuel. Once you get it going I would just keep it, maintenance is minimal and parts are easy to come by.

Thanks for the responses! All the carb related parts should be here by the end of the week, hopefully the gaskets will be also. Guess I'll be finding out shortly if I can rebuild these carbs myself. After looking at the manual the carbs don't look to bad to go through.

Jamie R.

I believe these are great little skis as well. They are a bit rough riding compared to the newer hull designs but pretty dependable and easy to maintain.

Well all the parts came in yesterday and I got to work on one of the carbs last night. Man the pulse side plate screws are super danged tight or either the screws are just corroded but anyhow one danged broke on me but luckily I was able to screw the rest of the screw out. Also the needles and jets that were sent were the wrong size in 2.0 where I needed 1.5. I just cleaned the needle and seat up along with a new o ring and stuck it back in. Hopefully I'll find some more screws in town today and finish both carbs up tonight. The manual was a big help and thanks again for it.

Jamie R.

Well I got the carb kits on and a new fuel filter on also. After all this I think the fuel is not getting to the fuel filter now. I put the carbs back together like I took them apart so I feel pretty good about them but dangit man I'm at a loss here as to what the problem is now. Any ideas?

Jamie R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information