Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FX HO Maneuvarability

Hi Guys,

I am considering a '12-'13 FX HO and would like to hear some opinions on its maneuvarability at all speeds. I owned a Kawasaki 1100 ZXI for years and it was the most nimble little ski, there was nothing that it couldn't do on glass. Unfortunately, the hull was far too short for rough water, even on Texas Lakes on a windy day. I'd like to know if I could experience the same sort of thrills on a craft with such a large hull (i.e. 180 degree spins at 25-30mph). Does it feel too bulky to the rider to really thrash? Thanks!

Reagan

+1
    It is a very maneuvarable hull......for a large hull, but will never be as 'loose' as a much smaller hull. I only have experience of the MR1 FXHO & a RXP-X.....you will never be able to throw it around like a P-X, but it is a much better hull then the older FX. Turns very well at all speeds (better then the older hull) & you can play with it.........I can easily do 180 degree tail slides on my 2012. Where it really scores though is in the rough......also at speed it is rock solid.....does not move around like the older hull......flat out in calm or light chop it will cope with going across wakes with out lifting off the throttle! Best advice would be to see if you can get a test ride on one.

+1
    It's a most nimble big ski - then offers all the other advantages of a big ski.

I used to fly combat aircraft in the the military, but a hard turning session on this can make me feel a bit motion sick!

(OK, maybe I'm just getting old...)

+1
    +1 ^^^. Since you're looking at Yamaha 3-seaters, how about the VXS. It will be more playful than an FX-HO !!! Good luck .

Thanks everyone for the responses, very helpful! I've looked at the VXS as well, but since I am a bigger buy (6' 4, 260lbs) I am worried about the ride position and lack of adjustable handlebar. I was also uncomfortable with the lack of trim..if I bring the spouse along I can see myself wishing I had the ability to bring the nose up or down to counteract all that weight (oh and she's only 130lbs, no funny business)!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rbennos View Post
    I'd like to know if I could experience the same sort of thrills on a craft with such a large hull (i.e. 180 degree spins at 25-30mph).
    For a different kind of "thrill" many of us have gone to supercharged versions of these larger craft; the extra size will probably feel bulky to you at first, but when you "thrash" another ski and pass them in the chop you will appreciate the larger hull.

Rbennos. I have both the VXR and a 2012 FX SHO. I agree with most everything said so far. But I think we have a "Show Stopper" on the VXR here. It really isn't a good 2 person ski; especially with close to 400 lbs on it. The VXR is more designed for a very sporty ride with 1 person on it. It can do two people, I have done it successfully, but only in near glass water conditions. I am 220 lbs, and my Girlfriend is about 130 lbs.

I think the FX SHO is your best bet. It is a very nimble Ski and it can accommodate both of you very easily. As YoYamma correctly points out, having the Supercharged version of the Ski is the way to go. You will like the extra 5+ mph speed and the added acceleration the Supercharger provides. Mileage is very close on both the HO and SHO model. And they are both 87 octane friendly. JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Rbennos. I have both the VXR and a 2012 FX SHO. I agree with most everything said so far. But I think we have a "Show Stopper" on the VXR here. It really isn't a good 2 person ski; especially with close to 400 lbs on it. The VXR is more designed for a very sporty ride with 1 person on it. It can do two people, I have done it successfully, but only in near glass water conditions. I am 220 lbs, and my Girlfriend is about 130 lbs.

I think the FX SHO is your best bet. It is a very nimble Ski and it can accommodate both of you very easily. As YoYamma correctly points out, having the Supercharged version of the Ski is the way to go. You will like the extra 5+ mph speed and the added acceleration the Supercharger provides. Mileage is very close on both the HO and SHO model. And they are both 87 octane friendly. JB

But how about maintenance on these supercharged skis? At what hour intervals do I need to take them in for service?

The Yamaha Supercharger itself does not require any maintenance. Just change the Oil, Oil Filter, and Spak Plugs at the recommended intervals in the Owners Manual. The Maintenance requirements on the HO and the SHO are essentially the same. JB

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    The Yamaha Supercharger itself does not require any maintenance. Just change the Oil, Oil Filter, and Spak Plugs at the recommended intervals in the Owners Manual. The Maintenance requirements on the HO and the SHO are essentially the same. JB
    Good to know, thanks John! How about supercharger rebuilds? At what hour intervals would this be recommended?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information