Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    96 Polaris SL 900 Reviews please.

    Ok well I just sold my 95 SLT 750 and picked up a 96 SL 900. From what the seller told me he hooked up the battery backwards causing the wires to fry.. I jumped the starter to do a compression test and they all have about 130lbs in all 3 cylinders. I thought that was good.. Now I only paid $300 for the ski.. Its in great shape. The guy kept it indoors and judging by the condition of the body and the paint he wasn't lying.. I've taken off the exhaust to see if there was any signs of water in the engine and Turns out to be clean.. He was a pretty straight forward guy so I'm thinking he was telling the truth.. So far all thats wrong with it is a couple of fried wires from the cdi box going to the stator. I can rewire that pretty easily.. My question is does anyone have any good and or bad reviews on these SL 900's? is there any upgrades that should be done in order to keep it going safe? I have 8 kids and wanna make sure that once I put this in the water they won't have to swim back lol.. Any Reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks


  2. #2
    I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    944
    +1
    7
    There's an ignition upgrade (stator/cdi/coil) for that model - since you're probably going to have to replace the stator anyways - I'd go ahead and do the upgrade.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone14 View Post
    There's an ignition upgrade (stator/cdi/coil) for that model - since you're probably going to have to replace the stator anyways - I'd go ahead and do the upgrade.
    is that all there is to do with those?

  4. #4
    I need a complete wiring diagram for the cdi box. Turns out the wires going to the stator are not totally fried. I need to clip the wires where they are burnt and run new wiring. only problem is some of the wires in the box are fried as well. Does anyone have a diagram? or know where I can get one? I tried to google it but couldn't find it..

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by rlalani View Post
    I need a complete wiring diagram for the cdi box. Turns out the wires going to the stator are not totally fried. I need to clip the wires where they are burnt and run new wiring. only problem is some of the wires in the box are fried as well. Does anyone have a diagram? or know where I can get one? I tried to google it but couldn't find it..
    Most of the info you need can be found via my signature links.

    There are also Tech and FAQ Polaris sections here on Greenhulk.

    AND the Greenhulk Advanced Search button in the top right corner.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rlalani View Post
    I need a complete wiring diagram for the cdi box. Turns out the wires going to the stator are not totally fried. I need to clip the wires where they are burnt and run new wiring. only problem is some of the wires in the box are fried as well. Does anyone have a diagram? or know where I can get one? I tried to google it but couldn't find it..
    Most of the info you need can be found via my signature links.

    There are also Tech and FAQ Polaris sections here on Greenhulk.

    AND the Greenhulk Advanced Search button in the top right corner.
    There is some VERY good information via your links. I was how ever unable to find a wiring diagram for my cdi box... Yes i'm using the search feature and not coming up with anything.. Myabe i'm not using the correct key words?

  7. #7
    I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    944
    +1
    7
    Keep searching in the link that K447 gave you - it's in there

    You need to ohm test that stator too - procedure is in the service manual

    You'll want to rebuild carbs and replace fuel lines etc too

  8. #8
    Ok So I got a new stator today. Its off of a 1200 Carb Pro Genesis SLX, part number 4010170. I know the plug ends are totally different and the rubber hole plugs are different. It looked exactly the same other than that.. If I snip the plug off and rewire it will that one work??
    Last edited by rlalani; 06-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

  9. #9
    Polarisitis loonatik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    812
    +1
    10
    That stator is Gen III, unless you already have Gen III CDI otherwise it won't work.
    The upgrade kit TBone14 mentioned is Gen III

  10. #10
    From what I understand the only difference between the 4010170 stator I purchased today and the 4010403 that came out of it is the plug ends and the gromit that goes into the flywheel housing. Everything else is completely identical. or am I wrong?
    I'm asking because if I can get away with it I will..
    The CDI that is in the machine is part number 4010379
    Last edited by rlalani; 06-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1996 Polaris SL 900 Assistance Please
    By RiverRat77 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM
  2. 96 Polaris SL 900 carb issues?
    By darrin5 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 11:28 PM
  3. looking to buy a 96 polaris SL 900 Hull with Texas title
    By SL900TX in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2014, 01:24 PM
  4. 96 polaris sl 900
    By turbogn in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM
  5. WTB: 94-95-96 Polaris SL Series Ski with a 750 engine
    By Feral in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •