+1

Question for TBM intake grate owners.

Have you tested the difference between the adjustable angles of the intake? Which is fastest and is the over-all performance better than an R&D/Riva intake grate? I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer. BTW..I love my new '09 FZS.

+1
    Silence speaks volumes on this intake grate...I am changing it to the R&D. I needed to know any experience with it..those 4 bolts holding the wing in scare the crap outta me at the speeds/power I am running. I can't imagine this thing letting go at 85mph. Pistonrash would be pistonfishfood.

+1
    +1 good idea, R&D with plug kit, Tommy Jordan

+1
    Update: You lose 2.5 mph with the TBM intake grate!

Why? Because the front and rear angle of the wings are more extreme by about 4 degrees. The front wing measures out at about 4 degrees higher angle and the rear wing angle is at 5 degrees higher than the R&D. I wondered why the ski was soooo glued to the water and would not let up. The R&D is less attack and has more blade surface but the TBM's little front wing is like a claw hanging in the grate. I think they tried to relieve the hard attack with the little cut out in the rear. It also seems they did not take the time to put horsepower to their test ski and find out how much it sucks the ski down at over 80mph. It seems that R&D actually took time to research and develop the angle of attack and how much water is allowed in at higher speeds/rpm's. In other words, Glenn and Bill knew this grate was gonna go faster than an OEM ski.

I think the TBM guys spent more time on a computer with various cad models and decided to give the rider an option to move the wing up and down for more or less aggressive water intrusion. It doesn't help the over-all cause when the angle is so aggressive IMO. It is well made and the billet is tough. The two little screws are a stupid idea when considering the 1,000 pounds of thrust hitting it. The wing screws are tiny..stainless or not, you always gotta bulk up when dealing 250 horsepower and the weight of a ski and rider. I am NOT slamming them...just making an honest assessment of why it is slower. It may be better for holeshot too...but I will know that with more testing.

R&D > TBM by 2.5mph!

Thread Information