1997 sl900 i got in on trade

so i got this ski with the elctrical box apart and wires unplugged. i looked into it and found where everything was supposed to go and it fired up! idles pretty good. revs pretty good but not to the rev limit. i took it to the water and you have to hold it floored for about 15 seconds and it will finally plan up and if you let of the throttle to slowly cruise it almost seems like it is flooding itself out. it does this everytime you try to take off. it also is very hard to start and you have to go full throttle with the choke onto start it and then turn off the choke it stays running. it will idle fine through the water. im lost, carb issue? has good compression.

+1
    Does it have good spark on all 3 cylinders? The elec. box being open when u got it may point twards stator/cdi issue, It may have the old ignition and that could be failing. Looking at the number on the cdi box inside the elec. box will tell if u have old style or updated ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by duneriders13 View Post
    so i got this ski with the elctrical box apart and wires unplugged. i looked into it and found where everything was supposed to go and it fired up! idles pretty good. revs pretty good but not to the rev limit. i took it to the water and you have to hold it floored for about 15 seconds and it will finally plan up and if you let of the throttle to slowly cruise it almost seems like it is flooding itself out. it does this everytime you try to take off. it also is very hard to start and you have to go full throttle with the choke onto start it and then turn off the choke it stays running. it will idle fine through the water. im lost, carb issue? has good compression.
    Where did you find the wiring diagram? I have been looking online for hours and can't find it.. I have a 96 sl900 that i'm trying to rewire and can't find where they all go

i just used my slx 1050 i had, alomst the same wiring. it had the seat and it was covered. very clean un the seat. It has good spark on all cylinders

+1
    Are you using fresh gas?

Good spark and compression, gotta be carbs/fuel then, does it have grey fuel lines? if so replace em. Clean the carbs. Clean filter element in water separator.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    See my signature links. Do the fuel system and carb maintenance.

Check and maintain all the other stuff while you are waiting for the genuine OEM carb rebuild kits to arrive.

can i get a link to your link?

actually re checked compression and it was 95 100 95........time for a rebuild i guess. know where to get a cheap topend rebuild?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duneriders13 View Post
    can i get a link to your link?
    Try the Red, bold, underlined "Click here" on the bottom of K447s post....

Thread Information