+1

01 Virage TXi cuts out when I give it gas.

I have a 2001 Virage TXi.... well I have 4 of them and one 800DI.
    We will call this Virage TXi-B

1) I checked for spark on all 3 coils- good
    2) Compression 140 psi across all 3
    3) 75 hr on motor
    4) Changed fuel lines
    5) volts at 13 to 14 when running
    6) idle great and responds when I give it gas

It rans good at idle but when I gave it gas it bogged. I ran it more and tried it it again. It got up and went 60 mpr on the gauge but then cut off on me. I road around a little more just at idle for 5 min. and was able to get it to 60 again but that was it never got it up to speed again. At one time it just shut off and would not start. After 2 min it did start back up but would never go past ideal speed.
    The word reverse was shoing up in the MFD could that be something.......

AFTER I GOT BACK FROM LAKE
    1) I checked for spark on all 3 coils- good
    2) Compression 140 psi across all 3
    6) put a new TPS in ( the sloted one from OMC) it had to be a justed so it would not idle so fast. Is that what happens if you don't get it right it
    7) about to go to AutoZone and rent the gage to check fuel PSI tonight.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by macdoo; 06-10-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the display says Reverse then find out why and fix it. The switch is on the reverse mechanism under the front hood.

Reverse mode causes an RPM limit at 3500.

Not starting, and suddenly stopping, are unrelated to reverse mode.

Bypass the Start/Stop module, see if that helps.

+1
    This is a 2001 TXi and it has Elc Reverse. Is that also under the hood or some place else? How do I bypass it? I was not able to check the fuel psi last night but will today. It seems again to idle good just when I give it gas it bogs down so the 3500 rpm could be what kills it. On the lake it hit 6600 rpms but that was before the Reverse started flashing in the MFD. On my other 2001 Virage TXi -A I had the same broblems with it running then stopping. I took the fuel pump out replaced bushbotton fuse cleand leads and put it all back. That seemed to fix it. The Reverse on it never did work and it is unhooked in the back.
    I did put 4 gal of new premium gas in and the display reads low fuel would that be a problem?
    The new TPS did not make a diffrence so should I put the old one back on? it has 75 hr on it. If the TPS is put in wrong then the the motor will idle higher right so reajusting it makes the idle go back to 1200 rpms?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoo View Post
    This is a 2001 TXi and it has Elc Reverse. Is that also under the hood or some place else? How do I bypass it? I was not able to check the fuel psi last night but will today. It seems again to idle good just when I give it gas it bogs down so the 3500 rpm could be what kills it. On the lake it hit 6600 rpms but that was before the Reverse started flashing in the MFD.

On my other 2001 Virage TXi -A I had the same broblems with it running then stopping. I took the fuel pump out replaced bushbotton fuse cleand leads and put it all back. That seemed to fix it. The Reverse on it never did work and it is unhooked in the back.

I did put 4 gal of new premium gas in and the display reads low fuel would that be a problem?

The new TPS did not make a difference so should I put the old one back on? it has 75 hr on it. If the TPS is put in wrong then the the motor will idle higher right so readjusting it makes the idle go back to 1200 rpms?
    Has the current 'problem machine' ever run properly for you?

There is more to the TPS than just getting the idle speed correct. The slotted non-OEM version has to be adjusted so the output voltage at the idle position is within spec, AND the voltage when at full throttle position is also within spec. This can be checked with a voltmeter and the Service Power jumper for the EMM, with the engine not running.

Correct idle speed for all Ficht engines is 1150 RPM, with slight slack in the throttle lever cable.

On PERC Electric Reverse models, the Reverse motor is beside or behind the engine. It is a black metal contraption that works the reverse cable from the jet pump bucket. Follow the reverse linkage cable from the jet pump and you will find the PERC reverse motor mechanism.

The gearbox has a complicated switch array, one of which is the switch that signals the Reverse warning. The EMM also uses the reverse warning signal to limit engine RPM to about 3500.

Low Fuel warning will not limit engine RPM on your model.

+1
    The Virage TXi-B was one I picked up last year. It had spark and good compression. The last fuel injector had a stud broken off in the head. I just got a used one off ebay and put it on last week.

1) I checked the Fuel psi and it is 30 psi with the ski running.
    2) I back I unhooked the elc cable to the reverse motor.
    3) I started it up again and it no longer boggs down but over reves at idel to 3K+
    4) unplug the MFD then pluged it back in but no change to the flashing reverse

So what does this tell us? Why is the plug to the rev making the MFD show reverse?
    The only thing I can think of was may be I put if in reverse and gunned it for 1/2 sec could that have messed it up?

I will check inside the elc box next to see if any wires are touching or anything looks wrong. Over all the machine does not look like it was dogged.
    I think it had some old gas in it still that was mixing with the new prem gas I had put in. and that was maybe giving it some probles running?
    I thought I would put the old TPS back on because it was not the problem and save it for one that does go bad.
    Is there a link that tells step by step how to install the TPS with the slotted holes? I have put it in 2 machines and it seems to be set wrong and makes them over rev.
    Thanks for grat help and I hope this will help others if they have the reverse code blinking in their MFD.

+1
    I did hook up a good MFD to see if that had something to do with the reverse problem. It did not fix the problem. I have read that others cut off their ski then restart it and the reverse 3500rpm goes away. That will not work on my ski and to work around the 3500 rpm it must be disconected.

+1
    I did hook up a good MFD to see if that had something to do with the reverse problem. It did not fix the problem. I have read that others cut off their ski then restart it and the reverse 3500rpm goes away. That will not work on my ski and to work around the 3500 rpm it must be disconected.
    You can use a multimeter to test the reverse motor switches. Somewhere there is a diagnostic chart showing the wire colors and continuity map for each possible state.

The Reverse signal itself is very simple. If the reverse wire is grounded then the display will show Reverse message and the engine will invoke RPM limit. The only things that can ground that wire is the switch inside the reverse gearbox or a shorting of that wire somewhere to engine ground.

+1
    The Reverse signal itself is very simple. If the reverse wire is grounded then the display will show Reverse message and the engine will invoke RPM limit. The only things that can ground that wire is the switch inside the reverse gearbox or a shorting of that wire somewhere to engine ground.
    Can you bypass ithe reverse limit? I did find the chart and will poast it here for others to see.
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.

+1
    Can you bypass the reverse limit? I did find the chart and will post it here for others to see.
    Bypass the Reverse signal?

It is just a wire that goes into the EMM. I suppose you could cut that wire near the EMM, but do you really want to be hacking up the wire harness?

Find out where or why the Reverse indicator wire is sending a ground signal and fix or disconnect it.

+1
    I was thinking it could be a wire I unplug from the Rev box. Because I would not try to go over 1/4 mph in rev I would think it would not be a big deal to unhook it. I'm sure it is a liability and a good idea to have it over all but if I just want to use the ski and not deal with that part it seems that could be a option.

Thread Information