Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dead in the water

literally..was having some fun today even though my battery tray is still broke and the battery was bouncing around all over the place (i know not smart) anyways after a few hours the entire ski just shut off on me..checked the battery and it was on its side, terminals loose

i tightened them back up but she still wouldnt start. doesnt make any noises, no turning over etc. just completely dead

checked the battery and it has 12.5v with a meter

are there fuses to check? im guessing i shorted something out? i hope : /

just realized i forgot to add, its a 97 xp800 lol

any help would be great

+1
    There are fuses to check. My advice would be to find a manual, but on my '98 GTI there was a fuse box in the front under the storage compartment, and one main fuse near where the battery plugs in. You very likely shorted something, and could be looking at a new MPEM if your fuses look fine.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy425425 View Post
    There are fuses to check. My advice would be to find a manual, but on my '98 GTI there was a fuse box in the front under the storage compartment, and one main fuse near where the battery plugs in. You very likely shorted something, and could be looking at a new MPEM if your fuses look fine.

where exactly are the fuses? I'm thinking here has to be one right after the battery but I haven't found one. I really should buy a shop manual bc this is my first experience working on a jetski

i went ahead and found a block of 3 fuses, ( from bottom to top a 15a, 5a, 7.5a) the middle fuse (the 5a) was blown..the rest were good

i replaced with a new fuse and installed battery
    went to crank her over and still nothing. no noises, no cranking-nothing

does this mean my mpem is bad?

+1
    check the fuse once more. if its blown again then you have a short at the magneto and you will need to pull the front cover to check the stator. generally a broken starter or benedix tooth gets between the stator and mag cup shorting it out. This blows the 5a fuse and sometimes takes the mpem with it.

unplug the gray connector on the front cover and see if it will wake up. it won't run but you should get the beeps and starter back.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    check the fuse once more. if its blown again then you have a short at the magneto and you will need to pull the front cover to check the stator. generally a broken starter or benedix tooth gets between the stator and mag cup shorting it out. This blows the 5a fuse and sometimes takes the mpem with it.

unplug the gray connector on the front cover and see if it will wake up. it won't run but you should get the beeps and starter back.
    ok..i checked the fuse and it was blown again...i unplugged the gray cable you spoke of, replaced battery and it didnt blow..but it also still didnt crank or beep or do anything

i replaced the gray cable, reconnected battery again and it blew the fuse immediately

so what does this mean? i have a short and a bad mpem?

+1
    you deffinatly have a short at the stator. do not continue to put fuses in it without fixing the short or you WILL fry the mpem. pull the front cover and fix the short and then see if it comes back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    you deffinatly have a short at the stator. do not continue to put fuses in it without fixing the short or you WILL fry the mpem. pull the front cover and fix the short and then see if it comes back to life.
    i will check it out after work. thanks for all your help...hopefully its simple

Sounds like you shorted the battery and blew the mpem. The 97 is a one off, so break out your wallet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information