+1

Cracked Intake Manifold

Hey guys -- just started up the ski (2004 RXP SC) for the first time this summer and it roared up to 8K RPM like nothing. Checked throttle and it was fine, so I assumed it was getting air from somewhere. Feel underneath and my whole hand goes right into the manifold. I assume some standing water got trapped in there and expanded... pop.

My question: should I be concerned with plastic bits that have been sucked into the engine? Ski sounded OK as it revved up, but I haven't found the missing pieces in the hull yet.

Also, anyone selling a intake manifold for cheap?

Banned User
    +1
    Check to make sure that IC is not also leaking, because any standing water that could POP the manifold like that had to be a good amount....

+1
    Did you have it professionally winterized??

If so then bring it back to them to fix on there dime..

If your mani is cracked I'd also think your inner cooler and water box might be popped also...

Good luck!

+1

here's what I ended up with. What's confusing me is how was their water in the intake manifold to begin with..? Is this a common break? Last ride of the summer it was fine, was winterized than it's cracked in the spring? Doesn't quite add up, wonder if the changes in temperature made it brittle over time.
    ?.

+1
    Also the dealer was Armand's Powersports in Halifax, Massachusetts. They conveniently went out of businesses two weeks after picking my ski up.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. It is with a sad heart that Armands Powersports must announce to our customers, suppliers and friends that Armands Powersports will cease doing business on March 29,2013. After 45 years in business we would like to thank all our past and present customers for allowing us to service your powersports needs. It has been a pleasure and we have enjoyed your friendships. THANK YOU AGAIN"

+1
    Water in intake would have nothing to do with winterized . If you had that much water in it would not run right if at all. If you revved it to 8k I would be concern that it sucked some of that plastic in motor. Did it back fire that's what I thank happened just my thought.

Banned User
    +1
    A break right there has nothing to do with water in the intake, because that break is at the front of the intake, not the back...The motor sits at an angle naturally, so all water would go to the back, towards the throttle body....ALSO, its not on a seem. So its just a crack that happened.....And in the PM from you you stated that you have an XS installed, so you can rule out a leaky OEM.....That crack happened when it got revved, the intake expanded, and any debris would have blown AWAY from the runners...so you are fine.

Winterizing isn't that hard, its simple. So simple its funny once you do it....

+1
    Dam ... Seen a heap of splits but not like that ...

Thread Information