Pre-Purchase test run, on RXP and RXT pair, What is the expected MPH & RPM of each.

Thinking about buying a pair in my home town and want to know they are pulling the proper RPM's and anything else you guys think I should verify, I have not talked to the owner yet but I know he bought them new and I am going to guess they have not had the SC's redone yet since both are at 100 hours +/- 3 hours and that expense is why they are for sale. What bone stock speeds and RPM should I expect assuming they are ok at this time and I could get both SC's done immediately after purchase. Any other considerations other than the obvious checking them out. Both are 2005 anything special with this year either way good or bad??

+1
    04/05 known issues were Scer clutches,Flywheel bolts and valves....I would ask if there was ever a Scer failure,if Scers were ever rebuilt with updated metal clutches and a maintenance record...look underneath into the pump area for a damaged or knicked up prop....make sure the titles are on hand and inspect for any cosmetic damage...I would also bring a compression tester to make sure the compression was good in both skis.(135 to 140 psi) in each cylinder....top RPM should be 8100 on both skis with the RXP top speed being between 67-69 mph, the RXT 63/64 mph....

Are the valves weak in the 05's or just better in later years. I'm not a wide open racer but a pleasure rider. I only asked about max RPM to use as a reference to engine condition. I am wanting a third ski for my daughter to go on rides with the wife and I and each have our own. I know about the sc's I am having Jerry do one at this time on my 05 gtx. I will add the compressions to the pre buy, thanks for that information.

On the compression test do I pull all three plug wires to avoid trying to start or do I remember their being a trick with the WOT throttle or something that is better??

+1
    Yes the 04/05 valves were not good..Being your from the midwest and the skis have to be winterized/stored for the winter,the valves have a tendency to rust/pit at the head of the valve if not winterized/stored right...once they pit the heads get weak and break thus dropping a valve....if you have a bore scope you can stick it down the injector holes and see what they look like...06 and up have the better valves

Thread Information