Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help needed with propane grill

The wife wants me to buy her a small portable propane grill. The one she wants is made of stainless steel and folds into a small suitcase for easy transport. It can be used for tailgate parties. It comes with a hose and regulator made to accept the small diameter propane cylinders like those used in Burns-a -Matic torches. Lowes sells this grill. I'm wondering if it would be possible to hook up a normal size propane tank like other grills use? There are adopters that enable the larger tank to fit but the salesman said the larger tank has too much pressure. I thought all propane tanks had the same working pressure and volume was measured in gallons ?? I know little about propane except it can go 'boom" and that scares me. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks,

Richard

+1
    Richard, Try going by your local propane provider and see what they have to say. I would think that if you bought a regulator and a hose that is rated for the PSI's it shouldnt be a problem.

This is true about pressure.
    example, I have a heater 40,000 60,000 80,000 BTU`s, inorder for me to run it on med or high I need the 100lb bottle bc of the pressure to keep a constant flow. I would think that it also works in reverse...PR...

+1
    Crimp the hose down a little with vice grips!

Dont judge me...
    way2fast i am a propane guy!!!! how can i help you?

Dont judge me...
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    There are adopters that enable the larger tank to fit but the salesman said the larger tank has too much pressure. I thought all propane tanks had the same working pressure and volume was measured in gallons ?? I]
    the volume can be measured in gals on pounds. but the pressure of a 1000 GALLON tank has the same pressure as the grill tank or a 20 pound tank. yes you can get an adapter to the big tank get the grill and take it to a local propane comp. and tell them you want to talk to a service tech not a desk lady, and tell them what you want to do, it can be done if the put forth the effort. i have done it i know it can be done. hope this helps if not ask me some more. and by the way propane is like anthing else if you play with in nice it want go boom!!!!

YJSONLY is your real name Hank from the tv show King Of The Hill?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    the volume can be measured in gals on pounds. but the pressure of a 1000 GALLON tank has the same pressure as the grill tank or a 20 pound tank. yes you can get an adapter to the big tank get the grill and take it to a local propane comp. and tell them you want to talk to a service tech not a desk lady, and tell them what you want to do, it can be done if the put forth the effort. i have done it i know it can be done. hope this helps if not ask me some more. and by the way propane is like anthing else if you play with in nice it want go boom!!!!

Lowes had a longer hose and fittings that would let you hook up a standard 20 pound tank in place of the mini bottle while using the regulator that comes with the grill. I looked at the grill instructions and they only showed a pic of the mini bottle and said it had to be purchased separately. However there was no "warning" saying not to use a larger bottle. But of course a larger bottle wouldn't fit as the grill comes from the factory without the adopters. So you are saying that there would be no problem using a 20 lb bottle and the pressure IS the same as it is with the mini bottle, right ?

thanks,

Richard

After re-reading your last...the regulator on the grill...it's just a valve right?
    Last edited by VaRedneck; 03-01-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    very good info, I just learned something...
    question tho??? why do I need to have a large cylinder 100# toi run my heater on high? (80,000btu`s)?...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information