+1

Help me out with some pricing

Hey guys. I need to be talked into a GPRXP. I have read threw almost all your build threads and i absolutely love the way these conversions look and perfom. and they seem to be reliable!!

So recently i picked up a 01 gp1200r with a bad cylinder and a 03 1300r with a beat up hull. And i also came across an old race ski with custom paint and some hull mods and it is GORGEOUS. ill post up a pic of it at the end

My first plans were to swap everything from the crappy hull 1300 into the beautiful gpr hull over the fall/winter. the 1300 runs perfect right now. And iw as going to repair the 1200r piston and sell it with a single trailer i have.

But now i starting to think that the beautiful race hull would be better off with a RXP engine. Im kind of scared to do the swap but it seems like you guys have everything figured out. I read through the stickies and theres step by step info on how to do every piece of the conversion...AWESOME!! thanks to anyone who contributed in those stickies.

What it comes down to is how much i could profit off these skis once i fix up the 1300hull and repair the 1200 motor. i should be able to make $2500 profit on the low side (i paid $2300 for both with trailer)

My question is whats the cost of a conversion?
    Motor mounts: ~$300
    Driveshaft: ~$300
    RXP engine: ?? can you use the 185 or 155 engine as well?

where are you guys sourcing your engines/electronics from? there doesnt seem to be many in the classifieds

what is the baseline speed of a converted gprxp with stock 215hp rxp engne?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Le3Jf3Na5Id5K75Fdd634b4a1170a86d13e0.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	303315  

+1
    IMO the best route to take is buy a RXP with a trashed hull . strip all the electrics ,engine , fuel system, exhaust . That way you will have everything you need and it will all match ... you could even use the pump aswell ..with a stock engine you should see 80mph ..

+1
    I personally would try to find a well kept 08-2011 RXP/RXPX to start with. Just feel a ski with a trashed hull is likely going to have a trash engine, too. Its easy to spend 15K building a conversion. Some guys here have bought used conversion. There are a few good used ones out there, but most I have seen need a complete rebuild after you buy it.

+1
    yeah i think finding an rxp is rough shape or a good one for a decent price will be the toughest part

+1
    I was thinking of a accident damaged hull ... yes if it's not looked after on the outside then the inside will be the same .. i purchased second hand gprxp hull with conversion done , sourcing parts is a PITA .. but hey I'm in Australia and it prob a lot easier sourcing parts in the US .. good luck with what ever you decide to do .....

Your best bet In my opinion is to sell everything you have and buy a conversion already made it will run you around 6,000 and don't go through all the headache.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_The_Geat View Post
    Your best bet In my opinion is to sell everything you have and buy a conversion already made it will run you around 6,000 and don't go through all the headache.
    you get what you pay for though.......

You are 100% correct about that

+1
    well the 1200r has a big hole in the case...selling it as is. found out the 155 and 185 engines wont work.

id like to do this myself. buying a total custom conversion scares me. its kind of a gamble unless you know the entire history of the ski/build thread. and the ones that are for sale are pretty far away. i just wouldnt want to pick one up thats hacked together it would just be a headache fixing some one else's screwups

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    there is plenty of information in the FAQ section. do your homework read up and build it. all the parts needed to build a conversion can be found on the site. addicted can get you the mounts and shaft (depending on what pump you go with) from there it is finding a good donor 4 stroke... whether it be an SHO or an 4Tec motor. i beleive and one of the more seasoned members on here can correct me if i am wrong, but i think the 185 will work. you just need to change the supercharger drive gear.

aside from that, take your time and do it right the first time. no sense in half assing something together, just to go ride it and have to pull it apart to fix something minor.

you've got plenty of local help in the tristate area in putting that together.... the fastest conversions in the northeast have come out of northern new jersey

BTW that hull has been around for a while. i used to race with the previous owner of it.

Thread Information