Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 SLTX 1050 issues

Hey there, been reading this forum awhile now, great info here.

Anyway I have a 99 SLTX 1050. I bought it over a year ago, owner couldnt get it running, he had the electrical box near the battery all taken apart. I figured out how things were supposed to go and got it together, no spark. Ended up being the fuse inside that box. Fired it up and it ran okay. Drained the bad fuel out, cleaned out the carbs and it ran awesome. Put it in the water and it would reach around 45mph and around 4500 rpms (give or take either way a few hundred). Problem was it was cavitating bad..Atleast I think it was. It feels like its cutting out at wide open throttle. I can get up ontop of the water fine, and around half throttle its ok, but WFO it cuts out bad. I feel like it would go faster but it couldnt. Fast forward to this year, I winterized it before winter. Last week I pulled it out and fired it up. It started up no problem, normal smoke from the fogging oil but it would rev pretty awfully. The RPM's read 4500 ish, but it sounded very rich and definitely was not reving out normally. (This is out of water). So I figure its bad gas, and the carbs are dirty again. So Im cleaning them now, and got rid of the bad gas. We'll see how it runs but Im not sure thats going to do it. Could this be anything else? As far as the cavitating goes, are there wear rings on these ski's? I know almost nothing about jet pumps. (reading up on here is helping). Whats there to look for and what is there to fix on these? Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk - Sounds like you are hitting the RPM limiter function on the CDI. You can test this theory by disconnecting the gray or tan wire from the CDI to the circuit board, if your CDI has one. Someone with more Domestic knowledge will chime in soon, I am sure.....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There should be no fuse that would affect ignition. The only fuses are for the dash display and the bilge pump.

There IS a push button circuit breaker (aka Reset button).

If your display is working, are there any warnings or red lamp flashing?

Yeah, that push button breaker is what I replaced. It was all corroded and nasty. My display works, and no red lights everything seems to be normal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDI.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	303501

Thats the CDI that I have. I unplugged that grey wire, and it wouldn't start. Fires right up if its plugged in though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by j440 View Post

Thats the CDI that I have. I unplugged that grey wire, and it wouldn't start. Fires right up if its plugged in though
    Which gray wire is THAT gray wire?

There are TWO gray wires in many machines. One runs directly from the CDI to the stator, and goes nowhere else. This gray wire is to be left connected.

The OTHER gray CDI wire connects to the Tan temp sensor wire and to the MFD/MFI display. THIS gray CDI wire is known as the RPM Limiter wire.

Banned User
    +1
    Its the grey wire with the spade connector, not the bullet connector

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I only see one gray wire in that box....... Is the limit function handled directly via the tan wire in this ski? I don't have the electrical diagram for a 99.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post

I only see one gray wire in that box....... Is the limit function handled directly via the tan wire in this ski? I don't have the electrical diagram for a 99.....
    1999 SLTX uses a Tan (Light Brown) wire from the CDI for RPM limiting, not gray. The Tan wire from CDI goes to the temp sensor and to the MFD display.
    Last edited by K447; 06-12-2013 at 10:39 PM.

+1
    1999 SLTX uses a Tan (Light Brown) wire from the CDI for RMP limiting, not gray. The Tan wire from CDI goes to the temp sensor and to the MFD display.
    Thanks for the clarification. Why were you asking him about the gray wire then......??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information