+1

Shopping for a non-Sandy ski

Anyone got any tips for shopping for a ski in the Northeast to make sure its not a Sandy victim?

Other than the obvious visible damage of scratches, etc.
    Has enough time passed where electrical issues would've started already? Any particular areas to check for sand? Like the air intake/exhaust?
    Other ideas?

Nick

+1
    Not for nothing if its a Yamaha it doesn't really matter. A friend of mine sunk one of his skies 3 times. No that's not a typo he really sunk it 3 seperate times. Every time after we just took the plugs out cranked the motor untill all the water was out, then sprayed starting fluid in the first cylinder put the plug in and it would start to kick over. Did the same 2 more times for the other 2 cylinders and it ran fine. Of course we washed the engine compartment with fresh water and sprayed everything down with anticorrosive spray and 2 years later still no problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
    Anyone got any tips for shopping for a ski in the Northeast to make sure its not a Sandy victim?

Has enough time passed where electrical issues would've started already? Any particular areas to check for sand? Like the air intake/exhaust?
    Other ideas?

Nick
    after my ski took on water.. i had electrical problems within a couple days i would think if everything structural is fine and the ski water tests fine with no problems then you might be okay... best bet might be to get a ski used from a dealer.. and ride the heck out of it in hopes if something goes wrong... it goes wrong within the first month of you owning it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post

Other ideas?

Nick
    after my ski took on water.. i had electrical problems within a couple days i would think if everything structural is fine and the ski water tests fine with no problems then you might be okay... best bet might be to get a ski used from a dealer.. and ride the heck out of it in hopes if something goes wrong... it goes wrong within the first month of you owning it.
    I assume you had a seadoo.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post

Other ideas?

Nick
    I assume you had a seadoo.
    Hahaha yamaha pride! Honestly i think there would be obvious signs if it went through sandy, like you said hull damage and stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bscpaint View Post
    Not for nothing if its a Yamaha it doesn't really matter. A friend of mine sunk one of his skies 3 times. No that's not a typo he really sunk it 3 seperate times. Every time after we just took the plugs out cranked the motor untill all the water was out, then sprayed starting fluid in the first cylinder put the plug in and it would start to kick over. Did the same 2 more times for the other 2 cylinders and it ran fine. Of course we washed the engine compartment with fresh water and sprayed everything down with anticorrosive spray and 2 years later still no problems.
    Yeah but you addressed the issue right away. If a ski sunk in sandy, who knows when it was looked at and how long water was sitting in the motor. Risky either way.

Also, I'm really not sure how a brand makes a difference here. If a ski sunk and wasn't looked at right away and properly, you'll have issues.

+1
    ill let you know how my friends Yamaha 2003 xlt1200 holds up. It has water in it since he flushed it out in july with the engine off. He thought the starter was bad because it wouldn't crank over, I got there pulled the plugs and a 3 10 foot water fountains came out of the plug holes!!!! I got it started and we put it in the water and it ran generally fine for the half hour we had it out there, there was a slight bog but im sure that's either the year old gas that hasn't been stabilized or the carbs are a little gummy from not being winterized. yeah im pro Yamaha, not a fan of the seadont

+1
    Good to know the electrical problems are almost immediate. I think if it's fine electrical-wise almost a year later, no obvious visible damage/scratches, and the engine starts/idles/rev's fine and all the gauges work, than it should be pretty safe.

Thread Information