Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

anyone ever bend there handlebars?

so yesturday my buddies and i were out rideing. we decided to hit the ocean and do some jumping/filming in the inlet. on my way out to the inlet we were hauling ass through heavy chop, i hit a small wave and it shot me up outta the water then when i came down my front end smashed right into the face of another wave, it felt like i came down on my handle bars hard as heck. my glasses got smashed in my face from the water that went right over the front of my ski. i weigh like 220 lbs btw... so when i situated myself i noticed that my handle bars felt diffrent, i saw that the gap was bigger between the sides of the controlls and the padded center protector.. so i sat on my friends fzr and then noticed there was deffinately a diffrence. obviously i just tweaked them but the way it feels now is annoying. i cant believe they would bend like that.. ski has 187 hard ridden hours on it... i winded up just ordering a new set of stock fzr bars, and then hit r&d up for some nice grips because i hated the oem yamaha ones lol. just wondering if this happend to anyone else out there on there fzr? im really glad i didnt go over the front and have my ski run me over too!!

+1
    Could very well happen 220 lbs combined with the force of a hard landing could easily bend your bars, I'm surprised mine ain't bent yet

+1
    yeah thats what im saying LOL. like wtf really. oh well atleast they didnt break off or anything crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Kneedragger85 View Post
    yeah thats what im saying LOL. like wtf really. oh well atleast they didnt break off or anything crazy

Unfortunately, the same thing just happened to me on Lake George in upstate NY. I have an 2015 FX SVHO and was riding on choppy water and hit a couple large wakes, landing pretty hard which bent my right side handle bar down about one inch or so. Bummer! After taking off the center cover, I see these stock handlebars unfortunately do not have an center crossbar. I wonder if my Yamaha warranty will cover this repair for a new handlebar?

+1
    I have the same problem buddy...

Yeah it's sucks! You would think they would be a little stronger or at least have an center crossbar for additional support. Oh well, not sure if I should just buy the stock handlebars for $100 and install myself or take to Dealer which could take weeks for repair. It is still under warranty.

+1
    Mean are bent only the Left side (upward). I think I might try a big pipe an honk on it a moment ??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneedragger85 View Post
    ...when i came down my front end smashed right into the face of another wave, it felt like i came down on my handle bars hard as heck. my glasses got smashed in my face from the water that went right over the front of my ski. i weigh like 220 lbs btw...
    Could have been worse; just be thankful you didn't plant your teeth in those bars; I've seen people jumping big waves without a full helmet.

I bent the handle bars on my 2003 GP1300R, and my 2016 RXPX. Split my chin on the 1300R.. It happens. You gotta anticipate it and try to lean back and relieve some of the weight if possible

+1
    Me to had a passenger and she didn't lean in a corner , pulled me off this ski and I held on to the bars and bent the left one fully back , just replaced them with riva bars in the end as we couldn't get it to look ok again in the plastics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information