Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 GSX RFI takes on water

Hey, I finally bought a jet ski this past Saturday and I'm trying to find out why it is leaking water so bad. I bought it from a 65 year old lady who has no clue about jet skis. Her "mechanic" didn't seem to know much about them either. The jet ski is taking on water between the ring-seal carrier and the hull through fitting. I have taken the drive shaft out today and it seems like the O-rings in the ring-seal carrier are pretty worn out. The only thing that still puzzles me is that the "mechanic" said that when he tightened the clamp on the protection hose it slowed down the water leak but never stopped it. I have inspected the protection hose and there seams to be no cracks in the hose, the ring carbone seams to be in good shape as well. I'm not sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

+1
    Could be the through hull cone where the shaft goes through I have seen these leak from cracks between the hull and cone.

+1
    Agreed, I've used the thru-hull repair fitting on several skis. I've also seen small cuts in the rubber bellows.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Either Or,..... Does it fill when its sitting in the water NOT running? If so put it on the trailer and fill the hull on the inside till about the driveshaft and look for water. If nothing there...Hook the hose up and run it on the trailer LOOKING for a water leak from a hose OR between the exhaust manifold and Headpipe area.

I have always found leaks through the steering/ reverse cables. shoot some grease in the pto and it will put pressure on the carbon seal

Quote Originally Posted by bfp2006 View Post
    I have always found leaks through the steering/ reverse cables. shoot some grease in the pto and it will put pressure on the carbon seal

I bought some parts and replaced the worn out old parts, from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be enough pressure on the carbon seal. I can move the boot that clamps to it very easily. What should I use to make it seal?

+1
    It will move by hand. Put the ski in water on trailer and start it , keep your eye on the carbon seal and rev motor up to see if the motor moving forward if so the motor mounts could be loose, weak or broken I have seen this on some skis but not often.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    my bet is a leak from the hoses cooling the stator or connected to the heat exchanger. these often crack if the ski isn't properly winterized ( the stator cooling line is difficult to unclip, leading folks to ignore it)

leaks at the driveshaft seal often leave a ring around the hull from water slinging from it. There is a spec for the length of the bellows..they do wear out and are inexpensive enough to replace.

The stainless ring and the matching carbone ring surface should look nice and shiny..if it's scratched up..gonna leak.

Thanks guys for all the help, i'll try and get it in the pond behind my house to test it this week. All I have left to do is drain the gas tank and plug off the oil injector, bought a kit to do that. I plan on pre-mixing my gas/oil, it there any easy trick to draining the gas or just get an electric pump?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you don't want to premix an rfi ski. The fuel metering system is expecting straight gas..not premix.

I prefer a hand siphon to drain tanks.. Electric pumps are sorta high risk if you don't follow best practices

I'd focus on the leak first..unless the gas is several years old of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information